new tranny smoking?

B18B1LS1

Need some advice. Just fired up my truck with the built tranny for the first time. I let it warm up for about a couple minutes and went through the gears in the driveway to make sure everything was working good. Everything seemed fine. Put it in drive and stalled it to about 1300 rpms for maybe 10 seconds to put some heat into it so I could check the fluid again before a test drive. The dumb thing started blowing smoke out of the dipstick tube! Wtf is that about? Fluid looks good but smells burnt now. Any advice?

Did you fill the converter before putting it in? Did you let the truck run in neutral for a while to make sure the converter was filled and fluid was in the entire transmission?

Yep. 2 quarts in the converter. And let it run in nuetral to let the converter "charge" with fluid.

If the fluid smells burnt that doesn't seem good. Drain the fluid into a clean bucket, and pull the pan. Then look at the rear clutch. If it is smoked you might be able to see the discoloration.

I think I should have let it sit longer and run. Just fired it up and checked the fluid level, not even close. I added a good bit more and it seems fine now. I think I need to change the fluid again and start over. Unless you guys think I messed something up the first time :doh:

Did you run the transmission through each gear and check it in neutral before standing on the gas? You might be amazed at how much oil all the servos and valve body passages hold...

Like was said, I'd be checking the rear clutch.

I did all that, but apparently not long enough. Or at least not well enough.

If you burnt the fluid, it typically means that something was slipping. I think I would just drop the pan, and take a look. You can put the fluid in a clean bucket, and reuse it.

I have seen trannies that the fluid seemed ok and when you dropped the pan it was in bad shape.

I'm gonna do that for sure. Plus I cant seem to get this mag-hytec pan to seal anyway, so it needs to come off again.

to get that mag tech pan to seal... find a very flat level surface and put some wet dry sand paper on it 600-800 grit and sand it down you will see your highs and lows ,,, should work well

Thanks man, I think I got it sealed now. My new problem is the 47rh doesn't seem to like the 47re transfer case. The tailshaft seal on 47rh is recessed way further then the 47re. My input shaft on the transfer case doesn't stick out enough to go into it. Which obviously makes for an amazing leak. I can't win today.