New truck.

Note: I traded an 07 5.9 6-spd on my 2012. It had 202,000 miles and 5 of the injectors were original. I only ever ran a Smarty and only ever ran a Mopar fuel filter.

Rough, smokey idle and MPG drop are the most common.

improper filtration is another one...

to the original poster.. id check DTCS as well before buying it...

I have 230K on mine, stock engine, other than a smarty on level 5, it needed injectors at 200K on the dot... and what happened with mine was sticking injectors, and raw diesel out the tailpipe, you would throttle a bit and it would stick.. anyways with 230K on it, I tow with it weekly, loads from 5K to 15K or so, I tow my horses and gooseneck, (roughly 10K) once a week it has a stock transmission, it does ok with yearly fluid changes, only have had to put the solenoids in it once, I do the fluids and band adjustment once a year on it, It also starts up really quick most times (once every two weeks it cranks over one extra turn or so, I assume it an injector returning too much fuel), it does not make any oil, does not need anymore oil (above the safe line) every 5K miles when I change oil and filters, and I have NO BLOWBY.. by blowby I do not mean the steam coming out of the crankcase tube below the truck, I mean crankcase pressure that will blow the loose cap off of the oil cap. Simply said, take the oil cap off on a warm engine, (up to temperature) and loose just like it came off, put it back on the oil fill hole, if there is pressure in the crankcase (enough to blow it off of the oil fill hole) then you have serious problems, ranging from a broken ring, or bad piston...or worse... if you put the cap on there, and it just dances around so to say with the vibration of the engine, alls well for the time being..... (knock on wood for mine).. anyways, mine has steam coming out of the tube, and very little from the oil fill hole on a warm engine with the oil cap removed... but it does not blow off the cap like a volcano, cap just dances there when It is put on loose as I stated above........ Like any other truck, they have issues, with mine is been mainly electrical demons, usually stemming from codes for the fan clutch (PO483) or some grounds or other connections loose... front ends, as stated, are crap on these trucks, done mine already twice in five years of ownership

also, if its making oil, its time for an injector or more.. one or more bodies is cracked at that time..

overall they are a much nicer ride, make smoother power, and more creature comforts than a second gen, but it comes with a tradeoff of different demons than what you are used to for the 12 valve... also.. IIRC, an overhaul for a commonrail cummins is recommended at 350K miles or so, and the lifespan of injectors is right at 100K or so with factory filtration (five micron) but you buy some more time with two micron filtration, which is what is required as per bosch standards...

oh and yes, the kit from Glacier Diesel performance is AWESOME.. I run that for a two micron filter

Last edited:
oh I forgot to add as well..

my grammer stinks, im on an overnight tour of duty tonite and low on sleep, but ill try to keep my thoughts straight...

hard starts, if you are positive your injectors are good, can be traced back to the connector tubes not being tight enough, or cracked and getting just a bit of air in them. BUT if you have dtc codes relating to injectors or other issues, resolve them first, and then try for injectors, believe me, look up my old threads, ive dealt with some of this before....

also you have to make sure that your batteries are always IN TIP TOP shape, even a weak battery can wreak havoc on your system and cause electrical gremlins, make sure your starter is hooked up good and tight, and connections are good, make sure that your alternator is also good to go, and that your batteries are good, strong, and holding a charge, it does not hurt to get them load tested every so often.. a CR is much more delicate than your previous ride...

well that's all I can think of for now.. hope it helps..

FWIW, 100K miles of ownership and five years with my 05.. the only major expenses have been one set of injectors (new, not remans)two front ends. On a minor note, the usual maintenance items that come with it can be mentioned.... but that comes with every truck that you own...

alternator
shocks
starter
crossover tubes (with new injectors)
batteries
tires
alignments
one front driveshaft (gets loose due to vibration, upgrade to a doghouse diesel one if you can)
three fan clutches
one FCA

and that is it

I bought my 03 at 130k and I never wanted to drive my 2nd gen again lol. I had to put injectors in it at 134k also got valve seats put in the head and put studs in since I was in it. Now it's sitting until I can do ball joints. I don't regret buying a CR at all.

I say use common sense with any diesel. look for weld marks on the rearend, holes in the bed for stacks, if it has aftermarket head studs or lots of aftermarket already then its possible its been flogged. I got rid of my 06 last year that only had 42k miles and the interior was probably the cleanest around but a couple months before it dynoed 700hp. im not saying a modded truck is junk by any means but could cost you alot later on down the road if it had extensive mods on it. after you drive a 3rd gen around you will hate driving a 2nd gen

Last edited:
I bought my common rail with 142k on it and now has 159 on it with no blow by. I wouldnt shy away froma common rail at all.. It runs smooth and yet to boot its a 6.7 and I love it

Sold my 95 and bought an 06 in June. Best move in a long time, only thing im not thrilled about is 16mpg but thats on 35" rubber also