Nitrous activation from standalone trans controller?

wooleybooger

I have an ATS (PCS) standalone trans controller which if you have used one you'll know that they have many many untapped capabilities. Just wandering if anybody out there has used one to activate their N2o solenoids. I thought about using one of the digital outputs or pwm outputs.

From what I gather I should be able to use one of the pwm outs, set the function to pwm*v/s speed or gear or boost or whatever, set when to activate it then go out and monkey with the duty cycle.

If anybody knows what the heck I'm talking about and aren't completly confused by my post then chime in please. I have some more questions.:pop:

I have an ATS (PCS) standalone trans controller which if you have used one you'll know that they have many many untapped capabilities. Just wandering if anybody out there has used one to activate their N2o solenoids. I thought about using one of the digital outputs or pwm outputs.

From what I gather I should be able to use one of the pwm outs, set the function to pwm*v/s speed or gear or boost or whatever, set when to activate it then go out and monkey with the duty cycle.

If anybody knows what the heck I'm talking about and aren't completly confused by my post then chime in please. I have some more questions.:pop:

Damn you and all your smartness Shannon. You have confused me

Damn you and all your smartness Shannon. You have confused me
Damit Atchley I said if you know what I'm talking about and aren't completly confused THEN chime in. :bang
You mean there's more to nitrous than a WOT switch?

LOL

Or so I've heard. I just don't want to leave the line with it on. I'd kinda like to wait till i get on down the track a little. Maybe middle of third gear when the boost and rpms are a little higher. It's part of my connecting rod and transmissional conservation program......Buy the way, anybody in East TN want to go to English Mt. Saturday night?

Last edited:

I use my PCS to control both wastegates (with PWM), water injection, 1st stage of nitrous, along with monitoring and dataloging nearly every engine function.

First, it will be tricky to match your solenoids with the proper frequency. I would suggest calling Russ at PCS to get started. He is great to talk to. You are not going to want to use speed or current gear because there will be no way to disable it while slowing down. The best thing to trigger it will be boost or Throttle position.

It is a phenominal tool and I am still playing with it!! Good luck!!

Me and roach will go to english mtn if youll txt me when your going

I use my PCS to control both wastegates (with PWM), water injection, 1st stage of nitrous, along with monitoring and dataloging nearly every engine function.

First, it will be tricky to match your solenoids with the proper frequency. I would suggest calling Russ at PCS to get started. He is great to talk to. You are not going to want to use speed or current gear because there will be no way to disable it while slowing down. The best thing to trigger it will be boost or Throttle position.

It is a phenominal tool and I am still playing with it!! Good luck!!

Thanks dockboy, how did it work for you? Could you get a progressive feel to it and stay hooked? Didn't know if there was enough room to play with on the duty cycle/time to run a single solenoid and make it smooth. It'll be a completly new experience for me.

Me and roach will go to english mtn if youll txt me when your going

You were supposed to pm or text me when you found out more about your little powerstroke thingy last week but you didn't. I was gonna crash the party.lol I had to work and didn't make it up there till about 7 and then i had forgot my serial to usb cord and couldnt set my trans up so i just watched. I'm planning on going around 6 maybe earlier.

You were supposed to pm or text me when you found out more about your little powerstroke thingy last week but you didn't. I was gonna crash the party.lol I had to work and didn't make it up there till about 7 and then i had forgot my serial to usb cord and couldnt set my trans up so i just watched. I'm planning on going around 6 maybe earlier.

You didnt miss anything. I talked to Mark about it and we both doubted we would make it up there.

I was knee deep in stupid last night. How went the tuning?

Twas your idea douchebag

You are not going to want to use speed or current gear because there will be no way to disable it while slowing down. The best thing to trigger it will be boost or Throttle position./QUOTE]

Just throwing this out there...

Could you not use speed/gear of the controller to trigger the nitrous, yet still run it through a run-of-the-mill WOT switch?

That way, when like you say, if your off the throttle but still above the set speed/gear you wont be shooting nitrous.

One problem i could see with this, is that if you were to back off, then get into it again during a pull you may be hitting the nitrous at a fairly low rpm/boost

You are not going to want to use speed or current gear because there will be no way to disable it while slowing down. The best thing to trigger it will be boost or Throttle position./QUOTE]

Could you not use speed/gear of the controller to trigger the nitrous, yet still run it through a run-of-the-mill WOT switch?

That way, when like you say, if your off the throttle but still above the set speed/gear you wont be shooting nitrous.

One problem i could see with this, is that if you were to back off, then get into it again during a pull you may be hitting the nitrous at a fairly low rpm/boost

Now that might work but I still need to get my solenoid frequency and all that crap fiqured out and i know nothing about pwm systems or setting them up. I almost bought a nos progressive kit but since i already have stuff in my trans controller i figured i'd do it that way. I'll probably do it off of boost.

I was knee deep in stupid last night. How went the tuning?

There wasn't much tuning going on. I didn't know they were having a benefit race. There was a couple hundred cars and i had to run in between. First run they lined me up with a ws6 trans am, injectors only i ran a 8.75 @83 and beat him lol. Second pass on the Diablo extreme tune it ran 7.43 @99, third and last pass i ran the diablo extreme rkl puff with no time tune and did a 7.59 @95. I was gonna try the ext rkl puff with time and then add on the e-z and see how it went but on the last pass i heard something pop, kinda sounded like a u-joint hitting the underside just past half track. Between the crowd and not being able to find out where the sound came from i figured id take it in and go over it good before i run it hard again. Maybe i'll try it again next Fri. its test and tune and not usually that crowded. U usually don't have to wait to run. last night i averaged a pass an hour. lol

There wasn't much tuning going on. I didn't know they were having a benefit race. There was a couple hundred cars and i had to run in between. First run they lined me up with a ws6 trans am, injectors only i ran a 8.75 @83 and beat him lol. Second pass on the Diablo extreme tune it ran 7.43 @99, third and last pass i ran the diablo extreme rkl puff with no time tune and did a 7.59 @95. I was gonna try the ext rkl puff with time and then add on the e-z and see how it went but on the last pass i heard something pop, kinda sounded like a u-joint hitting the underside just past half track. Between the crowd and not being able to find out where the sound came from i figured id take it in and go over it good before i run it hard again. Maybe i'll try it again next Fri. its test and tune and not usually that crowded. U usually don't have to wait to run. last night i averaged a pass an hour. lol

Ill be there next time. ill bring the trailer to haul you home

Excellent idea!!! Never thought of that:Cheer: