No engine warranty due to wrong bolt

I'm willing to bet that the pick-up tube didn't seal properly when it was put on with the wrong bolt and that possibly it got worse, sucking in air instead of oil.

I've test fitted this before and it is possible that it never really sealed.
Hard way to learn this lesson. :(

Mark.

Agreed. Their can be clearance issues causing the pick up tube to suck air and also loose its prime upon shut down. That engine probably had dry starts everytime it cranked over.

What is your definition of a dry start?
Anyone watched an engine prime a fresh oil filter?

Squeaky Wheel

Wow, the pickup tube can't seal with a regular bolt there and it is not submerged in oil at that level.

Just to be clear, I didn't install this motor. Now that I finally saw the pic on a computer, I remember this pretty clearly. They definitely should have noticed the clearance issue. Seems like the engine builder would have taken pics of how the pickup can't seal with that hex bolt there. I'll let this guy know. Thanks for all the input.

What is your definition of a dry start?
Anyone watched an engine prime a fresh oil filter?

Squeaky Wheel

Anyone with since fills the oil filter prior to install. Dry start probably wasn't the best term as all the bearings will still have oil film and the filter will be full. Rather delayed oil pressure because the air infiltration will allow the hot thin oil to drain back from the suction tube and pump. The pump wont push air so it may take significantly more time for it to draw the thick cool oil to it. This is just my thinking, could be totally wrong.

With that bolt there the pickup tube will either not seat or crack when torqued , causing oil airation

As said may times already that rounded bolt is put in that hole to allow clearance for the suction tube to seal tight to the block. The standard bolt will interfere with the tube.

Regardless of the pick-up tube not sealing, I know how we conduct business here at the shop. And we all know chit happens, if the customer was willing to pull the motor and bring it back in. I know boss man would help him out on fixing it, and getting it back together. Maybe not full warranty, but at least help him out. Not show him the door and say sorry for your luck. Just how the shop owner is, he does have a conscious.

Back