No events in the South?

the big question is way would racers stay home instead of coming out to a race? everybody wants a race to be close to the home town but they never show up.

The bigger question is why do people run time trials all day, then when the race starts, they park it and go to the stands.
That baffled me 10 years ago, and still do!!

but the TS outlaw race has not always been a combined event. it has grown in to that over the years.

buck and jess's race had a great turn out last year. the race in ATL has always been a big one.

the big question is way would racers stay home instead of coming out to a race? everybody wants a race to be close to the home town but they never show up.

TS started out as an Open House when DHRA made it a race, it remained small till they made it a combination event (according to sleddy)!

The race in ATL appeared big because of the other people who ran with us (non diesel), our last year there was okay but the registered diesel racers was still pretty small.

Why didn't we go back? We were thrown out because of our groups actions that last year. Can we go back maybe, good luck to the other group who is booked there! Hopefully diesel locals will support it!

Honestly I think it's a combination of reasons for small numbers for drag only diesel events.

Blame it on mostly economy, too many groups doing it locally so why travel, numbers were not that big to begin with so when split and divided it appears even less, epa/go green- less involvement because of black smoke by major sponsors which means fewer teams, unless the few big fast units show (Scheid, Banks, Morrison, Dr P, Stuckey, etc, 6-9 second runs) spectators will not watch or pay to watch trucks, even NHRA attendance fell off by 50% last year at tracks, and still the major reason - economy!

Why pulling is more popular is a whole new thread but it goes back many many years in rural areas! and you can do it anywhere there's dirt!

TS started out as an Open House when DHRA made it a race, it remained small till they made it a combination event (according to sleddy)!

The race in ATL appeared big because of the other people who ran with us (non diesel), our last year there was okay but the registered diesel racers was still pretty small.

Why didn't we go back? We were thrown out because of our groups actions that last year. Can we go back maybe, good luck to the other group who is booked there! Hopefully diesel locals will support it!

Honestly I think it's a combination of reasons for small numbers for drag only diesel events.

Blame it on mostly economy, too many groups doing it locally so why travel, numbers were not that big to begin with so when split and divided it appears even less, epa/go green- less involvement because of black smoke by major sponsors which means fewer teams, unless the few big fast units show (Scheid, Banks, Morrison, Dr P, Stuckey, etc, 6-9 second runs) spectators will not watch or pay to watch trucks, even NHRA attendance fell off by 50% last year at tracks, and still the major reason - economy!

Why pulling is more popular is a whole new thread but it goes back many many years in rural areas! and you can do it anywhere there's dirt!

i have a hard time believing that sleddy could possibly have first hand info on this when he wasnt even there.

i believe somebody's history is wrong, as eric mcbride called dennis wanting to put on a race and dennis incorporated it into the open house, sheila and dennis even went so far as to purchase all the DHRA hats avaibale at $15 , then sold them for $20, and put all the money from the sales , even the money they paid for that hats,into the purse, because at that time DHRA had no purse at all.

it's ashame that history can be distorted in this way. once TS became the largest drag race, eric mcbride was determined to keep indy bigger, so he did what he could to keep it down. once the event became outlaw, it went a year as drag race only, and then added sledpulling.

TS has built the most competitive race in the country as of now. I view it as the race that everyone aims for all year, and the winner surely earns it, as there is certainly never a bye in the ladders.

im not trying to derail nadm's quest for more events in the south, i am just trying to clarify history.

im not trying to derail nadm's quest for more events in the south, i am just trying to clarify history.

Well, lets keep current events, clarified, also, NADM is not on a quest for more Southern events, a few racers are asking for more, and we are explaining what needs to happen for NADM to add more, and why we dropped several small races in the south for 2010, and are adding more in hot spots like Ohio.

And yes, we all agree TS has been a great event, but, it did start as an open house and grew from there, and went HUGE when sled pulling was added.Thats not a bad thing, it is what it is.

It also had something key: Tremendous local support. Same thing SDX, and now NADMs East Coast Nats at Numidia have, and also new for this year, June 5th at Columbus.

You guys want to know what it costs to grow an event from an open house to the size of TS now? Ask Dennis and Sheila. Then maybe you will get an understanding why there isn't a huge Diesel event around each corner.

If you cant pull in decent numbers with racing only, you need to add sled pulling, or work at growing it with the affiliate program.

You guys want to know what it costs to grow an event from an open house to the size of TS now? Ask Dennis and Sheila. Then maybe you will get an understanding why there isn't a huge Diesel event around each corner.

If you cant pull in decent numbers with racing only, you need to add sled pulling, or work at growing it with the affiliate program.

I can't even fathom what it takes to put on a show of that magnitude...

My little rinky dink, half assed, thrown together event cost me about 10k,..hotel feees, track rental, food, beer, etc, etc

I thank NADM for what they do,..and I'm happy to be an affiliate event.

Back