NO power and crappy shifts

rbell

OK everyone, I'm a common rail guy so I'm lost on my buddies 12 valve. He just picked this truck up last week, I finally had a chance to drive it today. My God the thing won't get out of it's own way. Aside from that it will not shift into second until about 2900rpms, and thats after you get off the pedal and back on it. The tranny is the 47rh so I told him about adjusting the Throttle valve but aside from that I'm lost. From what I've seen the truck is bone stock, tranny fluid didn't look to bad or smell burnt. Does anyone have any ideas or pointers on this?

Thanks in advance for any help..ROB

sounds like a TC to me. also check the bands to make sure they are adjusted correctly

Put a gsk in the pump and bump the timing up. Get an aftermarket tc and valve body for the tranny. Enjoy!!!!

Dont expect alot from a stock 12v, even the best of them dont get out of their own way without some modifications!

But, with a junk slushbox behind it, you have a recipe for a real dog!

yup.... mine was a real dog untill i put my BD trans in...

defueled @ like 2100rpm and took all day to get there from 1600rpm or so.

it hated hills..... would do like 20mph...

I you said you adjusted the TV/kickdown cable, how tight/loose is it at the pump connection? You want it to be tight to 1/8" loose.

I you said you adjusted the TV/kickdown cable, how tight/loose is it at the pump connection? You want it to be tight to 1/8" loose.

I was going to post this last night and talked myself out of it.

Fix what's wrong first.... get the engineand trans up to spec before you mod things... if you have to replace parts, then upgrade those parts...

then when things are as they should be...... mod the hell out of it.

Mine was a gutless wonder till I opened her up a bit with intake exhaust and added some fuel. the GSK really woke it up.

He is planning on doing the trans before anything else. LIke I said from the start I have no clue about the 12 valves, when you guys talk about the GSK I have no idea what that is.

He's ordered gauges but without those I have no idea whats going on with this thing. I did find out it's the 160hp model, with all that weight and that little power it's no wonder it doesn't move. ROB

was the 2900rpm a mistype? cause a stock 12v shouldnt go much past 2500rpm unless someones done Govorner Spring Kit (GSK) install.
and as for the shifting, mine did similar but from 3-4 befor lockup, clean all of the connecters for the tps including the one on the tranny.

They will go past 2500, it just takes them a while to get to their max governed speed when they are stock.

What is being described sounds like a typical stock 12v truck. They really were slow in stock form.

It does sound like the TV cable needs some adjustment though.

They all seem to vary slightly, but as far as the cummins publications state (for the 215 pump anyways) they start to defuel after max hp (appx 2500rpm) and hit full defuel at 3100rpm.

Which means that, while it may take forever to get there, it will eventually pull to 3100rpm granted it is making enough power to get there.

he said 160 pump... mayb mines diff but it wont go past 2500 even with fueling mods....befor mods i had trouble getting it to hit the gov, not it hits it as soon as i hit the skinny pedel

he said 160 pump... mayb mines diff but it wont go past 2500 even with fueling mods....befor mods i had trouble getting it to hit the gov, not it hits it as soon as i hit the skinny pedel

The other pumps will go over 2500 too.

Max. Engine Speed (Governed Speed*) : 2700 rpm
Max. No Load High Idle Engine Speed: 3000 RPM
i stand corrected, guess my springs are gettin weak... this is only for 160-175 hp models

sounds like the tv cable needs adjustment. but my truck is a 160 pump also and until i did a fuel plate and governor springs it wouldn't get out of its own way either. there are threads on here about doing fuel plates, governor springs, and tuning the AFC. after you adjust the cable and give her a little fuel, you should notice a world of difference.

Sorry it took a while to get back on with this (damn honey do list) Anyway, yes the was reading 2900 but that was all she would do. I really believe the tranny is on it's last leg, before I drove it my buddy had a 6000K trailer behind it and said it would hardly move. After driving it I can believe that. It probably didn't help that I jumped out of mine into his.. Anyway, I need to get back down to his shop and have a look at things. I'm also looking for a good DIY pump thread with good pictures so I can learn something about these pumps. Thanks for everyones input...ROB

gsk would be a governor spring kit there robbie. but ya stock those things are slower than molasses flowin uphill on a winter day. call "the jeff" and throw some$$$ at it....that boy knows what to do with a 12v!