No Power Cold

POWERSTROKER

ok guys i'm not sure if this question is for this part of the forum but here it goes.

it got down to about 20 degrees today, truck started fine, let it warm up a bit, then left school, i started to get on the highway and the truck would not accelerate, i put it to the floor and nothin, it stayed about 1200 rpms at about 35 mph, then finally it started to go but topped out at 55 mph @3100 rpm's the tranny would not shift. has anyone had this happen to them?? any feedback would be really helpful. THANK YOU

any time I have been in cold like that I let it warm up for about 10 minutes and then it still has no power for about the first 10miles of driving. Don't even think of pulling out in front of someone and gun it. Nothing will happen. Try to get it warmed up a little more and give it a whirl. Then get back to us and let us know how it went.

You think that's bad wait until you try a below zero start....lol. Better plug 'er in, it helps a lot when it gets below 30.....

ok got down to -5* last night, i started the truck this morning and let it warm up for about a half an hour, then held it about 2000 rpm's for about a minute just to make sure it was fully warmed up, went to get on the highway and it did the same thing, i hit about 35 mph and it just seemed to lose power instantly, since the engine was fully warmed up i'm starting to think it could be tranny related, because once i drive a few miles its fine, whats wrong????

does it go away after driving it awhile? What RPMs are you running when this is happening? It could be the tranny is not warmed up enough to let the TC lock up.

Have you checked you filters?
Is your fuel heater working?

its happening around 1200 rpms, but then it can hit red line and never shift, and yes it goes away after a couple of miles driving

Sounds like it could be tranny issues. Can the RPMs ramp up normal in park? Have you checked the fluid level in the tranny?When's the last time you changed the tranny filter?
Just trying to get more info..

On edit: after reading thru it all again and seeing you have a 99..
Have you replaced your TC yet? Its possible its packing its bags and will be departing soon.

Last edited:
rpm's are fine in park, the fluid is at the normal level, as for the last time it was changed who knows, you see i bought the truck with 120,000 miles on it and the fluid was black, i was told that with the fluid as black as it was it would do more harm than good to change it, so i left it, the truck now has 195,000 miles on it, so i'm afraid to say that may be original fluid, no tranny work has been done, its a stock converter, i check the fluid level regularly but it is black and smells pretty burnt.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but, I would change the oil and filter. It's usually a bad idea to run anykind of cleaner or "power flush" from the quick change places, but clean new oil shouldn't hurt anything and may/could have made the tranny last longer.

a friend of mine changed his fluid when it was that bad and his truck would not move from the driveway after that, he had to get a new tranny