No start...Keyless click. HELP

OKay, I hate to bring this little issue back up....
BUT, yesterday we had a reocurrance...In a Napa parking lot. Fabulous!

In my ever-so-attentive trying to get the damn thing to start, I noticed the clicking only happens when the door is open. Then, armed with a hammer, I gave both positive battery terminals a firm tap. And much to my delight and the amazement of 3 Napa employees...He started!
Honestly, WHY is this happening?

And for the record, I still think a hammer is the most versatile tool in North America.

I love it. As sophisticated as these trucks are, a good whack with a hammer is still the best way to fix things sometimes. Sounds like you've got a terminal that's just loose enough that when the lights are on inside the truck with the doop open that it's just not allowing enough juice to start.

Do you still have the factory battery cable ends on the truck? Two thoughts here, one is that they are looser than they need to be and not making a good connection or there is corrosion inside the crimp causing the connection issue. Take a real close look at where the cable comes out of the connector, if need be cut a small section of insulation off, and look for any signs of corrosion coming from the inside.

Whenever you remove the cable from the battery loosen the nut a couple extra turns before reinstalling. When you reinstall them use a soft face hammer or a large screwdriver handle to tap them onto the battery post firmly. Then tighten the nut good and snug.

Also, whilst on the subject, for a quick and cheap anti corrosion coating for the terminals try this, get a jar of vaseline and a box of baking soda. Mix as much of the soda into the vaseline as you can (you will make a mess, get over it). Apply this concoction liberally to the terminals and posts before reinstalling.

Thanks, Billy.
I'm a freak about making sure the connectors are firmly on the posts (this is the girl that uses a hammer for everything)...I'll check the cable to connector, though as I could see that being more than realistic.

I'm not discussing vaseline with you. :umno:

Don't use the vaseline, because it will leave a... wait a sec, what were we talking about?:hehe:

Oh yes, Hammmer Girl, why don't you post a picture of your..terminals.

Go ahead and break down and replace all the terminal ends and posibly the batteries themselves. Cables themselves could have enough corrosion under the insulation to cause problems too.

If you end up replacing the terminals and cables go to a welding shop and have them made up. I got all new cables in 0 gauge and new ends for $40. Dealer wanted $300.

BgBlDodge said:
If you end up replacing the terminals and cables go to a welding shop and have them made up. I got all new cables in 0 gauge and new ends for $40. Dealer wanted $300.

Well thanks for the tip, good buddy.
I'm far too cheap to replace the batteries again, but $40 I'll try before I come back and ***** some more.

Nat, Mine made the same clicking sound when the batteries chit the bed.... This may sound odd, but what batteries did you buy, and is the charging system okay? If the batteries are not right for the truck, they will die a quick death.

Back