noise at 2100

59Ford

Доктора
OK, my little VE has a "rattle" like noise at about 2100-2200. It's only in that
RPM range, it's fine below and above. It kind of sounds like wrist pins but it doesn't
matter if it's on the pedal, holding rpm or off the pedal, it's just there.
I've checked valves, pulleys, belt, tensioner, etc. Haven't found anything on the outside wrong.

Any and all thoughts would be helpful

Ron

Mine sounds like that as well, I just assumed its the 200000 miles on a worn lifter.

Well, It's not a lifter, it's louder and a deeper tone almost like a rod knock
but then again it's more like piston slap. Everything else sounds normal and
it's only at about a 100 RPM spread from 2100 to 2200. I've tried light load,
no load and heavy load, the more load on the engine the louder the noise.
I've thought about everything I can think of except maybe something in the
injection or an injector.

I know it's strange for sure.

Currently the timing is as far advanced as I can get it. Tomorrow I am going
to back it up and see if that does anything. I've tried everything else so may
as well try it.

Mine did exactly the same thing as you describe. Do you have a Getrag by any chance?

MAN, I been sleepin on this thread..............

No Getrag, I run a RTO 6610 trans/ This engine was in a running truck when I pulled it, BUT
it was an automatic. I used my flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from my P pumped engine.
Never had anything in the other engine and have never had anything like this before.

Did you ever figure out what it was??

Last edited:
I had mistaken the noise initially as engine noise, but after more troubleshooting, I realized it was tranny noise. It turned out to be a walking input shaft. I tore into it, replaced all bearings and upgraded the input bushing in the flywheel to a sealed bearing and the noise is gone. Sounded just like you described and at the same RPM's. No damage suffered except the crapy input bushing, which had a small crack.

I guess I'll run it till it blows.

we had a noise like you describe on a conversion we did years ago when I first got into diesels. Ended up being piston slap. Ran it for years like that.