Noises in rear end

smokincummins89

Hey guys I have a 2008 Ram 2500, in the last week I started to hear some noises in the rear end. It doesn't matter how fast I go its still there, it sounds like a bearing that is dry. I thought it was one of the rear hub bearings but pulled both apart, and the both were tight, and made no noise when I rotated them. I was wondering if these axles and known for the carrier or pinion bearing to go out. Also when I put it in neutral and spin the drive shaft it is extremely hard to spin and it hits a spot that it just stops. The truck has around 160k on it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to check before I take it somewhere to have it looked at. Thanks for any input.

Interesting read but they stopped running Dana rear axles in 03.

Best bet is to pull the diff. cover and check the magnet for metal. Might find something else while your in there.

Does it have a 2 piece driveshaft? Check your carrier bearing if so.

You got me there but other than that the only fundamental difference is the differential unit. The diff bearing could still be going out. I woulf think a gear driven posi would just fail as opposed to a clutch posi gradually slipping.

I thought I had a rear going out also. Friend of mine said have you checked the front wheels. Obviously my answer was no. Jacked up one side spin it as fast as I could by hand, no noise, went to the other side and you could hear it and it would not rotate near as many times as the good side. Take a look, as I have a bearing going out again, opposite side this time. And I got a new hub off Amazon with the same part number for an unbelievable price of $67 compared to the auto part chains of $270