Non VGT

BUICKpowerSIX

So whats the deal with these? Anybody find one that doesn't lag the 1/8 mile? If you run one, do you need a crappola of fuel?

More or less Im just curious whats out there.

So whats the deal with these? Anybody find one that doesn't lag the 1/8 mile? If you run one, do you need a crappola of fuel?

More or less Im just curious whats out there.

You can get non VGT replacements that are very similar to stock, that work excellent with stock injectors. A lot of guys who've had too many problems with their VGT's have opted to upgrade to these just for the reliablity... If you choose to go with a really big single then yes you need a lot of fuel to light it. Its like anything else, there are some very streetable options out there or you can go balls to the wall, it all depends on what your goals for your truck are. IMO if you want big power and great streetability and still be able to tow a good load, compounds are the way to go. Only problem is I can't afford 'em.

Guess I shoulda said who has a non-vgt and do you like it better than the vgt? Im not really in the position to buy a turbo now, but really just want to know what people think about them.

Thanks.

Ehh they have there ups and downs. Some people switch over to them due to the reliability as compared to a fixed geometry turbo. One thing that I am watching is that with these newer Tier III and Tier IV diesel engines... allot of them have opted for VGT style of turbos. That means all things good for use power stroke people, for the combinations could be endless. You already can see that Elite has a VGT HO that flows 45PSI of Boost. As more and more research/engineering is done on these trubos, there may be an upside to waiting and see what gets produced.