NOS overspeed

dangerous06

diesel tech
If an engine is governed at 3500 "Stock" is it possible to overspeed the engine and turbo causing damage with NOS? Will the tranny shift normally or should NOs only be used in top gear?

Maybe....keep an eye on your boost gauge and ask around to see what is a "safe" limit. If you have the extra fuel, nitrous will make your drive pressure go bonkers.

Is there a safe way to relieve excess drive pressure? Or what happens if you get out of it quickly?

Never run NOS with a stock charger! Use a big external wastegate and boost controlled solenoids.

Last edited:
yeah I have the boost controlled soleniods What would you recommmend for an external wastegate? I have a silver bullet 64.

Lol I will be finding out soon how much NOS a stock (he351) can hold with an external gate. I will be enlarging the factory wastegate hole and running, well starting with a 40mm external gate.

Theres alot more to it than just buying a wastegate. You got alot of research to do.

These are the things that need a little attention from those who have been there. Got it almost complete just tying up the loose ends before I hit the go button! Better safe than sorry!

You can get away with running nitrous without an external gate if you tune the progressive controller correctly. We ran a silver bullet 66 on our megacab with nitrous for 4 years with no problems. But you have to bring it on very easy or turbo will go boom.

You can get away with running nitrous without an external gate if you tune the progressive controller correctly. We ran a silver bullet 66 on our megacab with nitrous for 4 years with no problems. But you have to bring it on very easy or turbo will go boom.

tell me more about the progressive controller!! Please:thankyou2:

There are a few name brands out there that make them, but we use the Nitrous Express progressive controller. You can set it up time based or map based. Time based, you have it come on at a set time after wot. Map based, you use your boost pressure to tell it when to activate. And you can ramp the solenoids, so instead of hitting it all at once with a button or wot switch, you can start it soft and ramp to 100% over a certain period of time. Its a great tool to keep turbos alive.

There are a few name brands out there that make them, but we use the Nitrous Express progressive controller. You can set it up time based or map based. Time based, you have it come on at a set time after wot. Map based, you use your boost pressure to tell it when to activate. And you can ramp the solenoids, so instead of hitting it all at once with a button or wot switch, you can start it soft and ramp to 100% over a certain period of time. Its a great tool to keep turbos alive.

I do it the other way with a ton of wastegating and big hits of spray. My truck Makes 60psi of boost with both gates closed, and 35psi with both a 38mm external, and internal gate on the S300 open. When I hit the nitrous (.135 jet) boost jumps from 35psi to 52psi, even with both gates open. Since I don't spin a lot of rpm, I'm not too worried about my turbo exploding. I also manually turn it off before I let of the throttle so it doesn't backfire, AND it is also wired on a hobbes pressure switch so it won't activate below 15 psi. Nitrous is a lot of fun, ya just got to be safe with it. Here's a video of my dyno run........as you can see, the nitrous hits SUPER hard, so if you don't have enough wastegate, you'll for sure need a controller.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xq1nrKl74"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xq1nrKl74[/ame]

I do it the other way with a ton of wastegating and big hits of spray. My truck Makes 60psi of boost with both gates closed, and 35psi with both a 38mm external, and internal gate on the S300 open. When I hit the nitrous (.135 jet) boost jumps from 35psi to 52psi, even with both gates open. Since I don't spin a lot of rpm, I'm not too worried about my turbo exploding. I also manually turn it off before I let of the throttle so it doesn't backfire, AND it is also wired on a hobbes pressure switch so it won't activate below 15 psi. Nitrous is a lot of fun, ya just got to be safe with it. Here's a video of my dyno run........as you can see, the nitrous hits SUPER hard, so if you don't have enough wastegate, you'll for sure need a controller.

Now from what I read, you run a rather small turbo. I am going to "try" and do pretty close to what your truck is with the stock (he351). My question is, does your 38mm releive all the pressure you need do? The gate I have to use at the moment is a 40mm. But, my exhaust housing is smaller than what you run. I am going to open up the stock wastegate hole, and run the external along with it. My worry is that I still wont have enough wastegate to controll drive pressure. Opinions?