Not happy with new mods... Whats wrong??

wpeschel

Psyko
Well I got my truck back a couple weeks ago and I am not too impressed.... I have 2003 cr with Bully DL stacked with TST... Recently installed were head studs, Silver bullet 66, II stage 3 cp3, Helix 2 cam/springs, flux 3 injectors, Ported head, new piston due too damage from dropped valve seat... I have ran it easy for about 400 miles and notice several things.. Egts are higher than just picking up speed to get on highway egts around 800-1000*... The injectors are LOUD until it is under a load.. When I floor it I get a lot of smoke with no power and the turbo doesnt start to pull until around 2200-2300rpms and will lag bad when I shift gears... I liked my truck better with everything stock and the 90hp injectors with bullydog on lowest setting.... I was playing with the settings on the bullydog and tst today when I floored it it took forever to spool and when it did it pulled hard then started to pop I let out of it when I pulled back in the driveway I noticed antifreeze coolant came out of the overflow and I noticed it was bubbling I was wondering if I blew my head gasket????? The most boost I have seen is around 50psi... I talked to II and they are working with me on this, they suggested I try a Silver 62 instead... I was wondering if there is anything else I should check??? I ordered new intercooler hoses the should be in by next week....

wpeschel said:
Well I got my truck back a couple weeks ago and I am not too impressed.... I have 2003 cr with Bully DL stacked with TST... Recently installed were head studs, Silver bullet 66, II stage 3 cp3, Helix 2 cam/springs, flux 3 injectors, Ported head, new piston due too damage from dropped valve seat... I have ran it easy for about 400 miles and notice several things.. Egts are higher than just picking up speed to get on highway egts around 800-1000*... The injectors are LOUD until it is under a load.. When I floor it I get a lot of smoke with no power and the turbo doesnt start to pull until around 2200-2300rpms and will lag bad when I shift gears... I liked my truck better with everything stock and the 90hp injectors with bullydog on lowest setting.... I was playing with the settings on the bullydog and tst today when I floored it it took forever to spool and when it did it pulled hard then started to pop I let out of it when I pulled back in the driveway I noticed antifreeze coolant came out of the overflow and I noticed it was bubbling I was wondering if I blew my head gasket????? The most boost I have seen is around 50psi... I talked to II and they are working with me on this, they suggested I try a Silver 62 instead... I was wondering if there is anything else I should check??? I ordered new intercooler hoses the should be in by next week....

Gotta a fuel pump or system? Drained your rail.(popping) Got several 6spd trucks with sb66's with and without injectors. All run STRONG. What tune is the BDDL? Haven't had much luck with BDDL and Big injectors. Buddy says he can do custom tunes if need be.

sootman said:
Gotta a fuel pump or system? Drained your rail.(popping) Got several 6spd trucks with sb66's with and without injectors. All run STRONG. What tune is the BDDL? Haven't had much luck with BDDL and Big injectors. Buddy says he can do custom tunes if need be.
I have a glacier fuel system and fuel pressure never drops below 16psi... The cp3 is Industrial injection stage 3 rail pressure is up around 25,000psi wot... The turbo takes for ever too spool.... Its not very drivable... I have the early bullydog with 130 hp setting.. I have been thinking of ditching the bullydog and going with the smarty for more rpms... The poping is coming from the engine area not exhaust and only does it at wot... Also the the engine temp is up to 220-230 when I run it hard...

What about the injector harness for the TST. Mine seemed to have a pop also. I asked around about it and aparentally there's a newer generation of injector harnesses that fix it.

I'd be more concerned about that overflow issue. If you indeed lifted the head, it will only get worse, way way worse. Or if the heads cracked/warped your in for a world of hurt....

I had an issue with my TST, it would 'stutter' for lack of a better term, at wide open throttle, and I was told by a few people that it broke a few billet shafts inside the tranny. I took the brain off, and sent it back to TST to update it

maybe that will fix it

you could also have lifted the head, if only momentarily, and maybe that is why you were spitting coolant out of the overflow tank

wpeschel said:
I have a glacier fuel system and fuel pressure never drops below 16psi... The cp3 is Industrial injection stage 3 rail pressure is up around 25,000psi wot... The turbo takes for ever too spool.... Its not very drivable... I have the early bullydog with 130 hp setting.. I have been thinking of ditching the bullydog and going with the smarty for more rpms... The poping is coming from the engine area not exhaust and only does it at wot... Also the the engine temp is up to 220-230 when I run it hard...

Update your tune after you discover why you are spilling coolant. That tune is way to conservative to light a sb66. Take off the tst and try it.

WUnderwood said:
you could also have lifted the head, if only momentarily, and maybe that is why you were spitting coolant out of the overflow tank
So what should i do pull the head and replace the gasket????

wpeschel said:
So what should i do pull the head and replace the gasket????

first find out exactly where the leak is that way you dont pull the head for no reason. just to find out it was something else. but from the souds of it, yes.
again the smarty should help big time in getting the boost up and fast!!

lcaad1249 said:
What about the injector harness for the TST. Mine seemed to have a pop also. I asked around about it and aparentally there's a newer generation of injector harnesses that fix it.

x2
im going to ask about the new one when i go to the tst dyno day tomorrow
are your valves all adjusted properly?

sootman said:
Update your tune after you discover why you are spilling coolant. That tune is way to conservative to light a sb66. Take off the tst and try it.

im no CR pro but i agree the SB66 is a lot of turbo to light with minor mods.

Bob Wagner said:
the smarty will light the fire. period
Hey bob I have a friend that has a smarty on his 05 610 cummins.. I tried to download it onto my truck with no luck is there a way to get it to work on mine?? I would like to try it before I buy one?? how much longer on the higher rpm to be released to the public??

Maybe his has the 04-07 file in it. Try the 03-06 file...I have no idea what the difference is, or why there isnt one for 03-07.

you don't like the silver bullet, that's the long and short of it... the other stuff shouldn't have any negatives to speak of

All Im running is the Tripledog for fuel and i dont have any spooling issues with the SB66. Its not as fast as stock but not bad at all. It seems to light around 1800 rpms. I would think you wouldnt have any problems, especially with big injectors, but every trucks different.

Mine is laggy, obviously.....but once it gets over 15-20 it will peg 50-55 psi. I have problem lighting it once I put the fuel to it when the tst is on. With just the PPE, it only hits about 28 psi, but it still runs darn good.

Forrest Nearing said:
you don't like the silver bullet, that's the long and short of it... the other stuff shouldn't have any negatives to speak of
What:what:

Back