Not sure what to do! Need options!

maxwedgehead

Well my rear end in my half ton has finally decided after so much abuse its not gonna take much more. It has been howling a little ever since i got the truck. But now the front pinion bearing is ruined. I have a spare rear end I was going to swap in that is perfect and has taller gears like I need but its an open diff and that won't work for me. So I need some options on what to do and I want to keep the factory lug pattern I don't want 8 lug, NOR do I want to spend 5k on a rear end. Something on a budget. I could put a locker in the rear end I have, or Dana 60 SRT 10 rear end swap it? OR??

Who's charging 5k for a rear?? You look for a used one? 3.92 ratio or 3.55?

Sounds like a locker is the way to go.

I assume the bad rear end has a limited slip? You could swap that carrier over.

Who's charging 5k for a rear?? You look for a used one? 3.92 ratio or 3.55?
I have a used 3:55 the one in it is 3:92
Sounds like a locker is the way to go.

I assume the bad rear end has a limited slip? You could swap that carrier over.
see thats a possibility BUT i feel as if that limited slip isn't any good because sometimes it wouldn't unlock turning
I good 9" can easily be $5k or more.

this is what I was talking about

Khaos Kustoms did a D70 with 9" big bearing ends and custom axle shafts. I'm sure that can be done on a reasonable budget.

I have a pile of 2nd gen 1500 rear axles you can have. Might be a possibility to get them down to you when we get Mikes truck transported up to me from OK. That is if you want to mod them to fit your 3rd gen truck.

I'll transport whatever's needed as long as I can get back to work in time.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

The chrysler 9.25 isn't the worst thing out there. Decent sized axle shafts. Only issues I have with them are they are a c-clip axle and a crush sleeve pinion pre-load. There is a crush sleeve delete for reasonable and the c-clip part hopefully isn't something you would need to dik with very often so take that for what it is worth...

I would just toss a locker in your spare. Lockers aren't all bad. If you aren't on the pedal in turns they are "supposed" to be un locked. My 98 gasser wasn't bad to drive with a locker. Heck my welded d80 I had in my dually before I converted it really wasn't all that bad. I just cringed turning tight with it welded.

They aren't hard to rebuild either. Hardest part is getting enough torque on the crush sleeve without putting too much torque LOL. A jack and a breaker bar and a ton of patience gets that done though.

Khaos Kustoms did a D70 with 9" big bearing ends and custom axle shafts. I'm sure that can be done on a reasonable budget.

Correct, I did a D70, 4:10, detroit locker, ford 9" bearing ends, strange 32 spline axles and wilwood disc brakes. Parts cost was $3000. You could do it cheaper by not re-gearing and finding a rear end with a factory limited slip already. Lots of options for cheaper rear brake setups also.

I have a pile of 2nd gen 1500 rear axles you can have. Might be a possibility to get them down to you when we get Mikes truck transported up to me from OK. That is if you want to mod them to fit your 3rd gen truck.

oh really? I wonder if the carriers and gears would interchange I would be interested in that!

The chrysler 9.25 isn't the worst thing out there. Decent sized axle shafts. Only issues I have with them are they are a c-clip axle and a crush sleeve pinion pre-load. There is a crush sleeve delete for reasonable and the c-clip part hopefully isn't something you would need to dik with very often so take that for what it is worth...

I would just toss a locker in your spare. Lockers aren't all bad. If you aren't on the pedal in turns they are "supposed" to be un locked. My 98 gasser wasn't bad to drive with a locker. Heck my welded d80 I had in my dually before I converted it really wasn't all that bad. I just cringed turning tight with it welded.

They aren't hard to rebuild either. Hardest part is getting enough torque on the crush sleeve without putting too much torque LOL. A jack and a breaker bar and a ton of patience gets that done though.

See I was considering doing the crush sleeve eliminator, I think thats really the only problem I will have for myself.

Back