Not your average driveshaft question

When I started deciding that I wanted to use my truck for pulling I planned to take all my known weak links out and try and give myself an added insurance that I'm not going out there to see where my fuse is. Like you I'm not really high hp like some of the big boys on here but I went 1480's in the rear, replaced my 70 with an 80, 37 spline rear and 35 spline front, lockers front And rear, Np271, and billet shafts from my input to out put. As long as I don't do something stupid my setup should be bullet proof as long as I maintain it properly and inspect everything periodically. Especially being in a competition I don't want a fuse because I'll always know I have a weak link! Just food for thought!

Im probably going to just got to the upgraded shaft and been done with it. Ive built em for a bunch of guys so i may just as well go ahead with it. The fact that ive been hemming and hawing for the last six months about keeping this truck is also in the back on my head.

Seemed like a dumb question from the start and Its rare to see a shaft break, jermey is rite, i have never saw one break, except a few guys the mess with aluminum ones always see u joints let loose weather they are 1480 or watever and even dumber question when u supposedly work at a driveshaft shop and ur asking people's thoughts??? Wow glad I don't take my stuff there, you mite ask me how to fix it! Maybe call Greensburg driveline the driveline experts!! Jmo

Seemed like a dumb question from the start and Its rare to see a shaft break, jermey is rite, i have never saw one break, except a few guys the mess with aluminum ones always see u joints let loose weather they are 1480 or watever and even dumber question when u supposedly work at a driveshaft shop and ur asking people's thoughts??? Wow glad I don't take my stuff there, you mite ask me how to fix it! Maybe call Greensburg driveline the driveline experts!! Jmo

Holy $h!t, i really am sorry i even asked. The guy on the cover of diesel power this month seems to love the driveshaft i built him. He also has roughly twice the horsepower i do. I guess ill just shut up and build myself one. Forgive me for thinking i might prefer to break something i can replace for free.

What i was looking for was some chevy guys to say, "yeah, mine held this much for X long" Or "mine is still going strong at X horsepower level" ETC.

Im not going to argue anymore about why and how driveshafts fail. You guys watching them hit the track for the past 20 years obviously trumps my trouble shooting and repairing failures for the past 12.

At what point of the run did you break? I'm with the guys saying no fuse. Seen too many ring and pinions taken out in the rear and front end destroyed from shock load.

At what point of the run did you break? I'm with the guys saying no fuse. Seen too many ring and pinions taken out in the rear and front end destroyed from shock load.

The end of the run, truck was stopped and starting to dig holes if i had been a split second quicker letting off it probably wouldn't have broke. Im also thinking if i had been running my coopers i ran last year and not the STS's i have this year it probably would have just spun out.

Well, i did right instead of being lazy/cheap. Here is the heavy duty shaft i built, 1480 series, 4" heavy wall tube, balanced to the tightest achievable specs in the industry.
IMG_20120810_171825.jpg
IMG_20120810_171942.jpg
IMG_20120810_172021.jpg

Nice work on the new drive shaft. Good choice on the upgrade.

I wanted to mention what no one mentioned.
Safety.

A valid point for the better drive shaft .

Well, i did right instead of being lazy/cheap. Here is the heavy duty shaft i built, 1480 series, 4" heavy wall tube, balanced to the tightest achievable specs in the industry.

Nice bit of craftsmanship there.
It was nice meeting you the other day.