Now I know why my RF brake stopped working...

Rogan

US Army Tanker Vet
This past weekend, my truck started pulling hard to the left, when I'd apply any pressure to the brake pedal.. No noise, nothing.. Just an insane reaction upon brake application. I "assumed" that the caliper had seized onto the slide pins. So, today, I decided to take it apart and investigate.

Taking the caliper off (which was quite stuck on there), the pistons were fully extended, and only the boot seals were keeping them from falling out and onto the ground. The bottom-most piston was seized up, in this extended position.
Looking at the pads next, I noticed the inboard pad was gone, with only the steel plate remaining.. The outboard pad was fine, almost unused looking.

Then, I noticed something weird about the rotor. HOLY CARP! No damned wonder my brakes were jacked!!

brakerotor1.jpg

brakerotor2.jpg

I've never seen this happen before, and it appears it's been this way for some time, so I thought I'd share.

note: I've only recently purchased this truck a few weeks ago, maybe a month, but have only been driving it for a couple weeks.. I can't believe I missed this when I had the wheels off last week..

I also found a pair of needle-nosed vice grips semi-pinching the brake hose, too, up by the framerail. The previous owner must've been a real dillweed...

We've had two customers in recently with rotors that looked almost identical. They werent quite worn all the way through yet but they were paper thin. Both trucks had it on the passenger side rear.

wow, so apparently this is much more common that I thought...
That's wild..

WOW, first time for me. Thats scary but yet awesome at the same time man. Glad you found the problem.

What exactly was the problem? I have a friend with an 02 dually thats wearing that one rotor BAD we're about to tear into it this weekend and figure out whats happening...

Mine did the same thing in the rear of my dually.The flimsy dust cover did not have a scratch.... go figure.

My 01 did the same thing on the passenger rear. While bleeding the brakes the driver side caliper locked up.

Yeah, my '01 did it on the driver's side rear once at least. Caliper piston seizes and away it goes.

Jason