Nv 4500 rebuild

joni1013

im rebuilding my spare tranny. is there anything i should do or use before i slap it all together? and suggestions on fluid to use other then mopar?

I've had success with running Amsoil in the NV4500 that's in my puller. It use to be a daily driver a few years ago, swapped it from Syntorq to Amsoil oil when 5th gear went out.

okay. I dont like ive seen Amsoil on the shelf at oriellys. but cant be to hard to get a hold of. Should i put rub the sycros down with petroleum jelly or would putting that on em srew them up? ( i know the sycros are picky)

I just rebuilt my 4500 last weekend and filled it with Amsoil. I bought it from Amsoil's website and it showed up in 2 days. I've got about 100 miles on it and its shifting good. I didn't put anything on the synchros when I assembled it since I was waiting on the Amsoil but before I bolted the shift tower back on I slowly poured 1 qt of fluid over the entire mainshaft as I slowly rotated it and called it good.

supposed to soak the synchros in fluid for a lil bit before u put em in

Using the wrong fluid won't "show up" as problem until after several thousand miles.

The factory specified Castrol SynTorq is an excellent lubricant for the NV4500.

Using the wrong fluid won't "show up" as problem until after several thousand miles.

The factory specified Castrol SynTorq is an excellent lubricant for the NV4500.

If I'm right I think the Amsoil is the only other oil that will work in the 4500's.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 (MTG)

"Ideal for NV-4500 Transmissions
AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube is a thermally stable, extreme pressure formulation that resists heat, oxidation, acid build-up and varnish. It is the ideal gear lube for high temperature applications, including the New Venture NV-4500 transmission, which retains heat due to its cast iron housing and is often subjected to heavy loads and high torque from turbo-diesel engines.

AMSOIL MTG is the replacement fluid for GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459 (Chrysler specification #MS-9070)."

supposed to soak the synchros in fluid for a lil bit before u put em in

im assuming if you dont do this it will burn up quicker?

and what about about royal purple? they have a manual trnny fluid also. i know ALL there products are fully synthetic and believe its the same weight.

Back