nv4500 assembly issue

oil_burner

Input shaft bearing got toasted so i ordered a new input, bearings and 3-4 syncro. Got everything assembled up untill putting 5th gear on. When i set the mainshaft bearing preload it look ALOT of shims to get it tight, the bearing cup sits about 1/8" into the case. When i put 5th gear on, the teeth contact the bearing retainer plate because the bearing its sitting so far down inside the case. I'm currently taking it back down to the bare shaft and starting over but im about 99% sure i didnt miss anything. Anyone ran into this before?

You did not forget the Torrington bearing between the input shaft and the 3-4syncro hub?

I wish thats all it was, just went through and disassembled and reassembled the entire mainshaft following the manual to the T. I have a funny feeling the input shaft I bought off here is flawed somehow and thats why he resold a brand new shaft. The only thing that has changed is the input shaft, torrington bearing, pocket bearing and 3-4 syncro. Endplay was set at .002 when it was rebuild last and with those same shims it has tons of play now.

Did you get a new input shaft bearing retainer, or just put a new race in your old one.