NV4500 into a first gen?

jdgleason

What does it take? Has anyone done it? Any suggestions instead of this? Stock maual tranny grenaded and I know those transmissions arent the best.

What does it take? Has anyone done it? Any suggestions instead of this? Stock maual tranny grenaded and I know those transmissions arent the best.

Lots have done it, need adapter kit or you will have to swap to 2nd gen parts . Nothing wrong with the getrag if you know how to maintain and drive them.

2 ways to go. gather all the second Gen gear, plus starter or if you don't want to source it all
Phone Advanced Adapter they have a Bell housing that bolts up, it will use your stock starter and clutch parts .. Slave
I had worn clutch fork which was pricey I also changed up to a South bend Clutch and flywheel
You will have to cut your Floor board to accommodate the new position of the shifter
If you have a gated T case ... more than likely you will. you will need to tell advanced that to Make sure
The t-case (NP 205) will bolt right up I did put the gasket in between the trans and the T-case
I didn't have to touch my drive shafts
Later i put a Dana 80 in so that changed it

How this helps ya
Zumbrota Has rebuild kits ZBAG - Zumbrota Bearing Gear - Home for the G360 Getrag

Keep in mind, if you have the stock Sachs clutch, the NV4500 bearing retainer snout needs trimmed @ 1/2"-3/4" if you plan on keeping the clutch that's in it now.
If you switch to the "upgrade" clutch of '94-'02, it should work without trimming.

The clutch disk hub sticks out to the rear that much more on a 'Rag.

An NP205 uses a NON-Gated shifter, as stock in a 1st Gen.

As far as the bellhousing, I have known at least 2 people that have bored the center hole out on the Getrag bell, then welded extra material to the outer edeges of the bell for the NV4500 bolts to screw into.
1 guy uses his to pull loads over 24,000 pounds, and does so nearly daily, with no issue.

The Getrag is finicky about bearing preload, the less you have on it, the more it likes it, but it MUST have bearing preload to shift properly.
I usually try to get it between .002" and .008", but again, less is best.
PUT IN NEW SYNCHROS WHILE IT'S APART!!!

On the 2nd gen bell set-up, be prepared for some minor framerail tweaking, as the 2nd gen starter (required with 2nd gen block adaptor) WILL hit the top part of the framerail.
It doesn't hit by much and the fix is to simply roll the top edge up, or grind it back.
I prefer to roll it up, personally.

Mark.

Hey guys I appreciate all the info. After lookin at downtime, I think it will be getting another stocker!