Nv4500 rebuild grind!!!

Sabbath5.9

Neato niceo airplane glue
Well I finally got the swap done. And now5th gear grinds. It went from a little grind to not going into 5th at all and now it's a heavy grind. Only drove 3 miles. What's your guys opioins before I lose my mind

I thought melted butter would have worked. Of course I put fluid in

Did you replace 5th gear synchro? You running the same clutch you had before the tranny rebuild?

I just did a swap so it's all brand new stuff. Clutch is brand new. And it's a brand new synchro

At least that's what the tranny shop told me. He put all new synchros in it

That is NOT what I told you. You supplied all the parts. I had to order a 3-4 synchro, a small parts kit for the misc shims that yours didn't include, a roller bearing and a bearing that your kit incorrectly supplied. I will not talk smack or do anything until we pull it apart in front of you, as agreed. 5th gear nut is the new, updated version with set screws. He supplied all the parts and I had to order what I mentioned above. It shifted and went into every gear nice and smooth on my bench. What happened? I will find out when we pull it apart in front of him.

Ok so you guys didn't use a brand new synchro? And your the tranny guy. All you had to do was say hey look you should replace this you obviously seen the damage inside the trans when your dad pulled it apart. Why not tell me hey let's Order this

I saw the damage and you saw it too when I showed you the bad parts. Had he seen an issue with it and known there would have been a problem we would have called you like we did and let you know something else was wrong and that we had to order a part. Like I said, it went into every gear on the bench, thats the only reason I called you and told you to come pick it up. All of my customers are happy Jeff, be it on here, cumminsforum or local. I'm not out to screw anyone over, least of all you. Like I said over the phone, spare an hour out of your day, bring the trans by and we will take it apart in front of you and see whats up.

Texting about this now. If anyone has any ideas before we pull it apart let us know please and thank you

Stand up service in my eyes, I am a little unsure as to why you didn't just call Mopar back to inquire as to what it could be and go from there.

But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
We did talk and I had a freak out and I've been researching since then.

He didn't replace the clutch. He swapped in the NV4500 in place of the auto he had.

Trans grenaded 3rd and took out the cluster gear because whoever last built it did not shim it and adjust clearances at all. Like I said, it went in all gears when it left my bench, what happened now we will find out when he gets me the truck or trans. No accusations or pointing fingers until its apart on the bench.

I'm trying to call you. Guess the phones off. The truck is at the shop. I left message about the key. Call me when you see this or get the messages. Thanks