NV5600 what oil to run?

David Jay Yoder

Interested to hear what y'all running for oil in your 6speeds mine is a 2001. I was thinking of going with amsoil or royal purple.I've ran royal purple for rear end and been happy with it.

Also I've seen several guys say they put extra oil in from the top since the recommended amount isn't enough.so would also like to know how many quarts you guys run?

Gonna tow regularly so want something good and have the right amount in it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

For a while, I ran the Mopar fluid spec'd on the PTO cover. Last year I switched over to Amsoil's 5W-30 Synchromesh fluid. Although, it had been a while since I last drove the truck, it seemed to shift smooth and easy.

I have read others use Redline MTF or Pennzoil with good results.

Fluid capacity is 4.75qts. Both times, I bought cases of 6qts and filled it through the top. I've heard of some running up to 8qts. but you might have some weeping from the vent at the rear of the case.

I think regardless of how heavy you plan to tow, 6-7qts should do well.

Last edited:
For a while, I ran the Mopar fluid spec'd on the PTO cover. Last year I switched over to Amsoil's 5W-30 Synchromesh fluid. Although, it had been a while since I last drove the truck, it seemed to shift smooth and easy.

I have read others use Redline MTF or Pennzoil with good results.

Fluid capacity is 4.75qts. Both times, I bought cases of 6qts and filled it through the top. I've heard of some running up to 8qts. but you might have some weeping from the vent at the rear of the case.

I think regardless of how heavy you plan to tow, 6-7qts should do well.
Yeah I've heard a lot of guys run 6-7 quart so that seems pretty common I guess.

When you fill from the top are you taking off the shift boot inside the cab or how does that work?

This be my first change since buying the truck so I haven't changed once before lol

In my truck, I pull the shifter assembly with the boot. Mine's a 1990 truck though so it's easy access. I don't have experience in doing so on the 2nd or 3rd gen trucks.

Any Synchromesh should work fine. Use at least 6qts Like stated above. There was some research done a while back stating Synchromesh has the same fluid requirements as a 5w-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil. But I dont know where that info is.

Any Synchromesh should work fine. Use at least 6qts Like stated above. There was some research done a while back stating Synchromesh has the same fluid requirements as a 5w-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil. But I dont know where that info is.
Ok good to hear! I went to summit today and ended up getting royal purple synchromesh got 7quarts plus some 75-140for the rear end.

I've tried pennsoil, redline and royal purple. The transmission seemed to blow up just the same with all three equally.