NX Mustang

how come the S10 isn't on this Brandon? One would think Nat would do just fine...
It would be a perfect candidate and the course is in my backyard this year to boot. However, I don't have a job as of last Friday. Kinda hurts the play funds but I have time to play now. :)

Last years NX motor did not put a rod out but did burn a piston when they put the wrong tuneup in the ECM for the Texas mile. It was way over fueled and burned it up, operator error by the NX boys. It ran the Hotrod Tour fine the whole time, I believe it made a few passes in the 9's last year.

Larry Larson's a friend of mine and he won it last year and hopes to repeat this year. I truely believe his Chevy II will make a very low 7 second pass at over 200mph and just maybe a high 6. Unless someone puts a better number up Larry will run it just hard enough until he gets to the last track. At that point as long as the track will take it, it will be balls to the wall!

Man..that sucks. Bad part?

New engine builder (Tommy Gun) and new electronics (Bosch LBZ). It is bigger and better. The trans had issues today but we got it handled. We think 2nd gear was giving up Monday and it really got weak today. But it is all fresh now.

Last years NX motor did not put a rod out but did burn a piston when they put the wrong tuneup in the ECM for the Texas mile. It was way over fueled and burned it up, operator error by the NX boys. It ran the Hotrod Tour fine the whole time, I believe it made a few passes in the 9's last year.

Larry Larson's a friend of mine and he won it last year and hopes to repeat this year. I truely believe his Chevy II will make a very low 7 second pass at over 200mph and just maybe a high 6. Unless someone puts a better number up Larry will run it just hard enough until he gets to the last track. At that point as long as the track will take it, it will be balls to the wall!

They burnt every piston. They could not change the tune up in the ECM. Not there fault.
That was one of several reasons that they switched to an LBZ ECM tuned with EFI Live.

Larry Larson Chevy II is awesome. But Jeff Lutz is giving a handful.

Johnboy, sorry but you've been misinformed/mislead. The tune was changed and Greg admitted they put the wrong one in at the Texas mile event. He event posted it here on CompD! Yes, it burned the pistons but that would be expected from what THEY did.

After burning up a perfectly good motor the supplier was not ready to give another one for free and no offers were made to pay for the first one. The supplier got the motor back after they had completely disassemble it as a box of parts.

Look like Larry ran well again 7.25 @ 199 mph. Wonder if he will run anymore today or just head out on the road again. It's not a diesel but it's hauling A$$ for a street driven car!

I think I'd pack it in with that time. Wonder if that puts him ahead of Jeff in the 640 cid 57 Chevy or not. That mustang got in the 9s yet?

I did not see any 9's from the Mustang but I just had the video feed running in the backround on the PC so I could have missed it if it did.

And they did change the tune for the Texas Mile, but it was locked into the ecm. It was flashed before the event. He did not have the ability to modify the tune on the fly like he has now.

Curtis Halverson supplied/built the motor and supplied the standalone controller and tuning. While I was not there I was told that they did have the ability to change the tunes but they had not learned what did what. Bottom line was they changed it on there own and burned up a perfectly good motor up. It ran well (9.9x 142.91 with a missed shift to boot) and for something that was just put together in time to make drag week from scratch.

This year was a simple, install the motor back in its place and put a different controller in place. They didn't have to start over at all as everything was in place and worked out. IMO to try and blame someone for that is BS especially after what they did with the motor and all. Then to not want to pay to fix it kind of tops it all off.

Rumor has it the '57 Chevy broke a motor so it's done.

Last edited:
Curtis Halverson supplied/built the motor and supplied the standalone controller and tuning. While I was not there I was told that they did have the ability to change the tunes but they had not learned what did what. Bottom line was they changed it on there own and burned up a perfectly good motor up. It ran well (9.9x 142.91 with a missed shift to boot) and for something that was just put together in time to make drag week from scratch.

Diesel Tech, You are spewing BS that is incorrect. No one at NX ever had the ability to tune anything on the old stand alone computer. The tune that was ran at drag week 08 was programmed by Curtis' guy Volker. The tune that was in the car at the texas mile was again programmed by Curtis' guy Volker. All that being said, i am not convinced the tune was the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey new guy...how about you go read the TOS in full instead of just clicking the "I agree" button. Then you'll know what flies and what doesn't. Or...post some more like your 1st post and I'll fix the problem myself.

It ran better today. 9.8 at 142.9 Spining thru 2nd gear. I and no one else are trying to place blame on Curtis. So please dont get your panties in bunch. The new engine has parts from Curtis, yourself and others. If I made it sound like I was blaming Curtis I was not. I use Curtis's parts in my own engine also. I got involved because they (Mike and Tommy) wanted the abilty to tune the engine on their dyno. They could not do that before. The ECM need mailed back to switch tunes. I have no Idea what Greg said about it. But I know what Mike told me. He owns the car so I take him for his word.

This year was a simple, install the motor back in its place and put a different controller in place. They didn't have to start over at all as everything was in place and worked out. IMO to try and blame someone for that is BS especially after what they did with the motor and all. Then to not want to pay to fix it kind of tops it all off.

Nothing simple about a complete rewire and ECM change.

Rumor has it the '57 Chevy broke a motor so it's done.
Trashed a starter from what I heard.

Steve once again I am not blaming anyone. I am just trying to report on the progress of the NX Mustang.

9.88 @ 142.9:rockwoot:

Diesel Tech, You are spewing BS that is incorrect. No one at NX ever had the ability to tune anything on the old stand alone computer. The tune that was run at drag week 08 was programmed by Curtis' guy Volker. The tune that was in the car at the Texas mile was again programmed by Curtis' guy Volker. All that being said, i am not convinced the tune was the problem.

While your another new guy let's just start by saying I've told everyone what was told to me. The car did run fine for the Hotrod week and everything was fine until you guys changed out the tuning. Had you left it alone it would have been fine as the results from Hotrod last year and this year are much the same. Only difference is you've had a year to refine the package. As stated on your web site it ran the 9.9x with having a missed shift point, so we will never know what it could have run. Later you took it to the Texas mile and changed the tuning and burned it up. Once you burned it up you did not offer to pay to have it repaired yet took the motor all apart to see what was in it! Then returned it all in pieces. Those are the FACTS!

Then you come here and try to play it off as someone did you wrong and that is BS! Let’s see, you had a free package to use, you burn it up and then you disassemble the whole thing and put the pieces in boxes and send it back! Anyone besides me think this is the WRONG thing to do? The wrong doing came from your end and if you pulled this with any engine builder they would drop you in a heart beat.

Johnboy

All I can say is what has been done in the past and it's true. The car ran last year and it never got dialed in as there was just no time. It finished the Power Tour just fine and got burned up after the tune was changed. If they had really wanted to work with the builder tearing his motor to pieces was not the way to go about it! Now they try to infer there was something wrong with the build! Seems to me when it came time to step up, they stepped out.

As far as changing the engine wiring and installing the new ECM after the entire car was already wired up is one hell of a lot simpler and when you've had over 6 months instead of 2 weeks, in my book that's a lot simpler.

The car runs well and that was proven out last year, I just do not much care for what they pulled afterwards. Mike is a nice guy I just believe this time they did not step up and do the right thing.

I don't think Steve is saying anyone blames Curtis. I think he's saying Curtis got burned on that deal with nothing but a box of broken parts to show for it.

Johnboy

All I can say is what has been done in the past and it's true. The car ran last year and it never got dialed in as there was just no time. It finished the Power Tour just fine and got burned up after the tune was changed. If they had really wanted to work with the builder tearing his motor to pieces was not the way to go about it! Now they try to infer there was something wrong with the build! Seems to me when it came time to step up, they stepped out.
No one is inferring that someone was wrong with the build. At least not me, Tommy, or Mike. It burnt down the engine. They went a different direction with this one. I can remeber talking with Curtis about the engine being burnt down and how he was exicited to see it. To learn from it.
As far as changing the engine wiring and installing the new ECM after the entire car was already wired up is one hell of a lot simpler and when you've had over 6 months instead of 2 weeks, in my book that's a lot simpler.
The old ECM and harness where long gone before the engine was rewired. I never ever laid eyes on it. No way to learn from something you have never seen.

The car runs well and that was proven out last year, I just do not much care for what they pulled afterwards. Mike is a nice guy I just believe this time they did not step up and do the right thing.

I don’t know what the agreement was with Curtis. Not my business. Nor to I want it to be.

They have been great to me as has Curtis. We break stuff. That is how we learn to make more and better power and go faster!

Back