ockup with transgo

DMcpherson

COAL SLAYER
anyone know how to really make lockup hold. im using a transgo tfod kit. did the max size and the 2 holes for the lockup valve. started at .093 for the lockup hole. gonna go .135 any other ideas?

Which kit did you use? Look in the left lower corner for the print date.
I think the step that you are describing is for lock up firmness, not for holding power. So with the 2 holes drilled you should have a firm lock up shift feel.

im wondering if I can go more than what they state in the directions. and how large I can go on the hole for pressure. I use a custom built single

Is your lock-up clutch slipping or shuddering? If your already maxed out on the holes I think your trying to put a band-aid on the real problem which is your converter.

I can shudder it before its full throttle. Im sure that theres more you can do other than the trans go kit tells you. my tranny guy said go .125-.150 on the pressure hole. Im at .096 so that just might do it, just looking for other ideas.

The holes you are drilling only affect clutch apply feel, you're not actually putting more pressure in the clutch itself. If this trans is the truck in your sig no single clutch converter (regardless of who made it, or what vb you have) is gonna hold that kind of power. You're not gonna be happy till you get va triple disc converter.$.02

I hear ya, definitely need a single. this converter has been amazing. I believe the hole on top of the converter is lockup pressure. so Ill open it up. just want to know if there is anything else to do. short of getting a tripple right now.

pretty much the trans is stock, its upgraded with 48re parts but thas about it. I want to see how far I can get on it

pretty much the trans is stock, its upgraded with 48re parts but thas about it. I want to see how far I can get on it

I hope you put some kind of decent T/C in it then, that'd really make a over all decent transmission. Make sure you get the cooling system in check too.

Last edited:
its a custom built unit. billet cover, billet piston, powertorque, carbon/paper lining, 150 rpm drop stator, all tig welded. 92% or so efficient. works awesome.

I think you're on the right track with the 48RE parts, I just wish you had spent your money on a better converter. I did the same thing trying to save some money and had the same problems. Finally spent a grand and got a pretty nice piece built. Live and learn. Dunrite Converters sells a kit that I hear is pretty awesome for the do-it-yourselfer, supposedly way better than the Trans-go but I haven't used one myself.

money was tight and i did a single. transgo kit is already in. I know at some point ill be going to a tripple, but I know for a fact I can get more pressure to this converter. I can only shudder it at part throttle, wide open it doesnt miss a beat.

I think you're on the right track with the 48RE parts, I just wish you had spent your money on a better converter. I did the same thing trying to save some money and had the same problems. Finally spent a grand and got a pretty nice piece built. Live and learn. Dunrite Converters sells a kit that I hear is pretty awesome for the do-it-yourselfer, supposedly way better than the Trans-go but I haven't used one myself.

I wouldn't dog his converter sounds like he's building it himself. Who knows what it's capable of.

Hang on, I didn't mean to dog anyones stuff. I'm just trying to help him get the performance he wants. I went through 3 custom singles before I went to a triple and the difference is night and day. If you're only shuddering the converter in part throttle but not wot I would try some lubeguard additive. The fix in Ford converters use to be a quart of synthetic motor oil, it lets the clutch slide a touch before complete lock-up and removes the shudder.

Hang on, I didn't mean to dog anyones stuff. I'm just trying to help him get the performance he wants. I went through 3 custom singles before I went to a triple and the difference is night and day. If you're only shuddering the converter in part throttle but not wot I would try some lubeguard additive. The fix in Ford converters use to be a quart of synthetic motor oil, it lets the clutch slide a touch before complete lock-up and removes the shudder.

I agree I wouldn't buy a custom converter either. But I don't know how or what all is going on with him doing it himself. Lubeguard does work wonders.