ohms to K's??????

DieselSmoke333

say something girl
im trying to install potenemeter in truck i no i spelled it wrong but is 25 ohms close to a 5k or 10 k pod or will it work on tps bypass i have no clue thanks:nail:

To convert ohms to K ohms just move the decimal point 3 places to the left, or K ohms to ohms move the decimal to the right 3 places. So 25 ohms is .025 K ohms.

would radio shack have them i have went there and got this one will it work or go back and look agin

Maybe.

Radio Shack doesn't have crap for components anymore around here. They sell heat sinks but no heat sink grease? Come on...

I will say that the last one I bought came from there though.

lol yea that is little funy but it seem's like that any were you go or at least with my luck. im going to try and find one today agin but last time i looked that was all i found i dont know if what i got would make it more sensitive or less sensitive.

The general idea has been shown, but so you get the concept (if you haven't already) the k stands for Kilo.... which is a prefix that literally stands for 1000.

5k literally stands for Five kiloohms. You could also see M, which is mega, meaning million. 5M would be 5 Megaohms. Or m, milli, meaning thousandth. Most commonly seen in our realm as say 1milliamp, meaning 1 thousandth of an amp. Or u for micro, meaning millionth, so on and so forth...

Below is the first place I found a good list with common prefixes and their symbol, although it does show micro as mu, which will normally be u, although the u should technically have a long tail off the rightmost side to denote it as what sounds like "Muwe". So now I see why they labeled it as "mu", cause that's how it sounds.

Prefix List:

http://www.knowledgedoor.com/1/Unit_Conversion/Power_Prefixes.htm

Anyway, what you were dealing with was just a prefix. I have no idea what you're trying to do with the pot, so I can't help you there.

Last edited:
Reread the first post he tells you exactly what he is doing.

He's installing a potentiometer in his truck to do what?

I know a guy that had to install a potometer in his ignition circuit after he got a ticket for driving while under the influence of the reefer. If he was too high it would sense too much pot and not let him start the car.

:woohoo:

Do you guys not know what TPS stands for?

He says right in the first post that he is wanting to bypass his TPS.

EDIT: His spelling leaves a bit to be desired though.

Do you guys not know what TPS stands for?

He says right in the first post that he is wanting to bypass his TPS.

EDIT: His spelling leaves a bit to be desired though.

Let me clarify if I can...

I'll give you an example.

For instance:

I want to make an inexpensive idle speed controller using a pot that is wired inline with the OEM TPS so that on cold mornings I can simply turn the pot and raise my idle speed for warmup. What would be a good pot to use for this, what range of resistance should I use and what does "linear taper" mean?

See how that works? I might have missed it, but I don't recall seeing anything even remotely similar in this thread. As such, it makes it kind of hard to know what the guy needs when you don't know what he actually wants.

By "bypass", does that mean totally do away with? Or momentarily do away with? Or actually did he mean work in conjunction with? I have learned that in interland 9 times out of 10 people DO NOT write what they actually mean, and then on top of that 9 times out of 10 they will get pissed when you didn't use your ESP to know what they really meant, as if you're the retarded one, lol.

So to be as concise as I know how to be, there is little if any explanation as to what this guy is trying to do with the pot. Making it next to impossible to help him do it.

Let me clarify if I can...

I'll give you an example.

For instance:

I want to make an inexpensive idle speed controller using a pot that is wired inline with the OEM TPS so that on cold mornings I can simply turn the pot and raise my idle speed for warmup. What would be a good pot to use for this, what range of resistance should I use and what does "linear taper" mean?

See how that works? I might have missed it, but I don't recall seeing anything even remotely similar in this thread. As such, it makes it kind of hard to know what the guy needs when you don't know what he actually wants.

By "bypass", does that mean totally do away with? Or momentarily do away with? Or actually did he mean work in conjunction with? I have learned that in interland 9 times out of 10 people DO NOT write what they actually mean, and then on top of that 9 times out of 10 they will get pissed when you didn't use your ESP to know what they really meant, as if you're the retarded one, lol.

So to be as concise as I know how to be, there is little if any explanation as to what this guy is trying to do with the pot. Making it next to impossible to help him do it.

Point taken.

Considering that it appears that he has a '96, I doubt it is for a fast idle setup. I made the assumption that he is trying to eliminate the TPS like all the other 12v guys seem to like to do. (which as a side note, I've never figured out why they like to eliminate the capability to have part throttle kickdown)

Point taken.

Considering that it appears that he has a '96, I doubt it is for a fast idle setup. I made the assumption that he is trying to eliminate the TPS like all the other 12v guys seem to like to do. (which as a side note, I've never figured out why they like to eliminate the capability to have part throttle kickdown)

So the 12v trucks have a TPS for input to trans shifting and that's it? If that's the case, what's the pot for? Why not just a fixed resistor to pacify the trans controller?

So the 12v trucks have a TPS for input to trans shifting and that's it? If that's the case, what's the pot for? Why not just a fixed resistor to pacify the trans controller?

Pretty much. Most people replace the TPS with a pot because they are too cheap to go out and buy a replacement TPS. Some people claim that they like it better with the pot than a TPS, but I sure don't.

I think most people use a pot rather than a fixed resistor so that they can fine tune the shift points. Once it is installed.

The TPS does even less on a truck with an RH transmission.

Back