Oil analysis concerns

ThunderedRod

Hot Pants
Hey guys,
Not too long ago I sent a sample out to get tested when I changed my oil. Normally I find interesting to get the results. I have only done it twice with this truck. This time however the results have made me rather worrisome.

8e0f4f1f05c9a306fe10313de22ee7e8.jpg

I'm thinking these junk injectors I've ignored are starting to screw me over. They have always been dirty, haze at idle, sometimes the truck starts crisply in 1-2 seconds, sometimes slighty stumbles to life after 2-3 seconds of crank time. Slight puff of bluish smoke apon start up.
I read topics all the time about bad injectors. But I try not to get paranoid.
What do you guys think?

Sent from my fancy thinking box

I think you have new rings, and possibly some cylinder work in your future. Would expect to see higher fuel dilution if the injectors are malfunctioning. Perhaps this is the result of the previous injectors? You can perform compression, and cylinder leak down test to help determine next steps.

Why was the turbo replaced? Any chance the engine was dusted previously?

Last edited:
When I bought the truck 3 years ago I was under the impression that the injectors were replaced just to go bigger.

I upgraded the turbo for performance reasons.

Oh yeah... I forgot my old batmo wheel turbo had some compressor wheel contact on the housing. From 12-3 o'clock there was some sight contact. That batmo turbo was used for the first half of this 6,000 mile oil change.

And there was another issue I was having with my coolant bypass sticking open. The truck wasn't warming up. This went on for a few days.

Last edited:
I have had my share of bad oil reports, I can provide them if you'd like.

What I would do, and what I did as a result of a bad oil analysis:
- Change your oil and filter at the 4 to 5k mile mark (repeat this for the next few oil changes)
- Reduce your timing a wee bit
- Use quality oil and a quality filter from here on out
- It's Winter time, so start taking it easy on the truck for a while.

Get two more oil samples under you to get a feel for a trend. Don't make changes to your interval or PM until you have enough data to establish a trend.
If it's damaged, it's fruitless to make a bunch of changes and sway the data you need. Dirty samples happen. Not that chrome is a dirty sample.

Last edited:
Probably the the most reliable sign of major issues is crank case blow by on a diesel.

If you have blow by and it blows out, or puffs out the filler, the damage is significant.
If it kind of drifts, or hazes out the filler, it's usually typical ring/cylinder wear on very high miles engines, which means it wore normally and wasn't exacerbated by another condition that damaged the cylinder, piston or rings.

Mark.

No blow by, not at idle, not at 1500 rpms.
I checked at night with a flash light at the oil filler.

This weekend I also replaced the stock harmonic balancer. It was pretty hammered, rubber bulging. A chuck of rubber broke off the inside of the damper as well. I had noticed the truck was vibrating a bit more then usual. I'm not sure how long the balancer was bad, but the spot where the rubber broke off the damper looked fresh.
Happy to say the truck is smoother with the fluidamper.

Check your dampers!!!!

I'm sure the bad damper didn't help my situation at all. Could it be the cause of the chrome in the sample?

Yes, on our 2.6 Truck we were mis-informed or mis-understood , none the less the wrong damper spun one of the mains, it took 5 weeks to repair and $$$$, it really ***** this all happen on 4 tugs, I would just take a sample at 2K and see what you got, I also at this point would not worry to much. I see these test all the time ,in order to establish a correct foundation you must have some type of trend. Here 's the test on My 2013 6.7 3500 Aisin.

Attachments

• 2013 oil report sample.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
I think we need an oil analysis thread or subforum or a link with data and failures. It would benefit quite a few people