Oil in coolant need second opinion

cumminz90

Cant leave um alone
Sorry for the book in advance :Cheer: but i really am loooking for an second opinion on what my problem could be with my motor it kinda has me confused. So anyway i start my truck (One in my sig) tonite to let it idle and warm up checking to see if everything was doing what its supposed too (just recently got the motor running maybe two weeks) let it idle for about 30 mins and i walk out to it oil pressure, coolant temp everything registering ok on the gauges shut it down and i grab hold of my radiator hose and its just loaded with pressure i opened up the cap and stuff just blasts out of the cap appears to be staight oil (motor didnt even kick on the electric fans yet wired to come on At 185* i believe). What is confusing me is ive run the truck up and down the road probly about twenty times or so in the last few weeks never used oil never used coolant and they were still seperated when i checked everything before i first started it. The oil level has gone down on the dipstick significantly. What could be my problem? cracked block? head? What does it sound like to you guys? any opinions would be appreciated this project has ben a long time coming and its a kick in the a** finnally getting to drive it after a year and a half and it breaks :nail:

Also as far as the motor goes it was a 190 horse bus motor we bought at an auction a couple years back and sat on the shelf for awile until i swapped it in the truck only thing ive done was put the 175 pickup pump on it and stud it the motor had cummins recon all over it and when i pulled the head everything looked really good hardly any wear ( but i guess if it was any sort of runner it wouldnt be at the auction)

Was the head ever off? Was it checked for warping?

:i just reread your post, you should have checked for flatness of the block and head, when you had it apart

Last edited:
As stated above, was the head decked when it was off?

It don't take much head to gasket contact when going back together to foul the head gasket. I know this first hand, I have ruined more than one head gasket.

Did you do your heat cycles and do your re-torques?

I just had the EXACT prob. My hg was blown at every cylinder!!! My head studs had streched and lifted the head.

i did check the head with a machicnist level it checked out ok but i will admit i didnt check the block with it (thats what i get for assuming i guess) Also it was retorqued once scince the intitial torque and had quite a few heat cycles on it it was going to get its final torque this weekend but it pulled this chit o also studs were only torqued to 125 ft lbs. So you guys are thinking i should pull the head and go from there? i honestly was thinking it was much worse being that it was just idleing. Thanks again

do yourself a favor and check the oil cooler and make sure it has not sprung a leak. then pop the head back off if it pressure test good.

I would recommend pressure testing the oil cooler,its real simple and more likley to fail than the head gasket. min 65 psi max 75 psi submerge in water check for bubbles. If you replaced the head gasket with a cummins gasket it should be the updated part number which we dont see any problems with but still a possible failure.

When i replaced the gasket yes it was a cummins one a little thicker to i believe .010 thicker And ill pressure test the oil cooler before i go pulling the head what is a good replacement if this is my problem? thanks

There's good used oil coolers all over e-bay. Definitely what I'd check before lifting the head off. I'll be listing a good cooler on e-bay today as it turns out. lol.

This may be a dumb question cuz i havent looked for it yet but wheres it located? And thanks for the info

It's part of the oil filter adapter---bolted to the block right behind the alternator.

I would recommend pressure testing the oil cooler,its real simple and more likley to fail than the head gasket. min 65 psi max 75 psi submerge in water check for bubbles. If you replaced the head gasket with a cummins gasket it should be the updated part number which we dont see any problems with but still a possible failure.

how do you go about pressure checking the oil cooler? what do you mean by submerge in water and check for bubbles?

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry i was not clear I mean apply 65 to 75 psi of air to cooler by plugging the oil passages and use an air pressure regulator and then set cooler in a bucket of water and check to see if air is escaping from the cooler. (if air can get out so can oil).

Copy, that is what I assumed you meant, but wasn't completely sure.

Thanks,
Rick

oil cooler first

it's easy, takes 2 people

man1 sticks finger in one hole and holds cooler

man2 uses air blowgun in other hole

submerge in bucket of water, look for leaks

worked for me a couple years ago

well tested the cooler today and not one dang leak guess im pullin the head

Ya that same thing happened to me, put in a new head gasket and had the head redone, fire it up same problem, mine was the oil cooler.