oil leak

midnight2004

Just about broke
Well We finished a set of twins/head studs (one at a time) on a 03 Cummins, Took it out for a ride and when we came back I noticed a small puddle of oil where it was idling in the garage, so I looked under the truck and noticed it dripping real bad and the whole undercarriage of the truck drenched in oil. We pulled it back in and took the valve cover off to see if maybe it had a pinched seal, nothing too obvious. I did notice there is actual oil spray all over the fire wall on the drivers side at the back of the head. :bang It was getting late last night so we decided to let the truck cool down and dive into it tonight. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for all the help.:thankyou2:

Chris

Welll all the oil blown ever where is just from driving it down the road with the leak. Brake clean it all off and let it run and see if you can spot it while idling, did you give it hell right away on the test drive with the twins installed. Hope you didn't blow the gasket already.

I would check the oil feed lines for the turbos ...... one of them could be leaking? they will squirt under load ......

I saw "oil leak" and thought we may have a Harley thread! :D The first think I though of was the oil feed lines for the turbos too. Hope you find it. Get a gallon of simple green, soak the motor and clean it, then start over driving real slow. A 65 mph wind came make a small leak look like a train wreck.

Thanks guys,
Everything on the twins side is dry as can be. It looks like the oil is coming from the drivers side (you can actually see a spray pattern on the firewall). I thought of the head gasket thing too, but the puddle on the ground where it was idling before we drove it makes doubt a head gasket, seeing there was no boost. That's pretty much the plan, Clean the motor and watch for leaks, just seeing if anybody ran into this before. This thing has been one head ache after another. I couldn't imagine doing twins a 6.0

Last edited:
Has anyone ever ran into the head studs not clearing the valve cover on this motor?
I heard that this could be the problem and we need to clearance the valve cover. I looked last night and it didn't have any obvious signs of contact.

Yup. Buddy of mine ran into that on the back part of the valve cover and another buddy of mine ran into it on the front of the valve cover. I didn't have a problem with either.

Do like I did on mine..... I took a towel and put a very small cut in it ... put it over the stud and grind it to the nut. I did that on everyone one of mine .....

I believe I found the problem, I have to clearance the lower valve cover due to it making contact with the rear head stud. I could see where it was making contact with it last night. So tonight I'll do that and hopefully that will take care of it.
As far as the test drive, That thing whistles like crazy, I love it. It will bottom out the 60 psi gauge like a fart in the wind. Makes me think I should get a set... Grow money tree, Grow!!!!!

Im having the same problem right after I installed head studs. Hoping its the back head stud.

Did that fix your leak?

It's almost always the back, center stud that makes contact with the valve girdle. You should be able to pull it off and see little marks were the nut was hiting. It is in a small pocket, next to the bolt hole on the girdle.

You have enough clearance when you can slide the girdle back and forth with about a 1/4 inch of play.

Seems the manufacturers of these studs would wisen up and put a little note in the box telling customers about this issue on the CR engines.

So how much do you have to grind off of valve cover? I will be installing studs soon and I have never been in my CR engine yet.