Oil Pressure

Stock Ram

Haulin' Grass
It is a used 05 that I have started driving and I have a question/concern about the oil pressure. When it idles at a light or in the driveway it is low around 10 and when I start to drive and accelerate it climes to 40 (which to me is normal). Checked oil and it is new and fine???

Any ideas?

The motor is still a virgin (30,000mi) so I am confused.

Low oil pressure

It is a used 05 that I have started driving and I have a question/concern about the oil pressure. When it idles at a light or in the driveway it is low around 10 and when I start to drive and accelerate it climes to 40 (which to me is normal). Checked oil and it is new and fine???

Any ideas?

The motor is still a virgin (30,000mi) so I am confused.

This is NOT good. Get an oil sample asap. I'd be your truck has had some serious overheating problems in the past,.. b-4 you got it and now has bearing damage. The oil sample will tell the story. Also cut your oil filter open and open up each fold of filter material. There are special tools for cutting the filter open but if you or your shop doesn't have one then punch a hole in the filter and take a pair of tin snips and cut it all the way around. You want to cut the threaded end off of the filter. If you see glitter looking sprinkle in the folds,.. that's your bearings. The 30k miles has NOTHING to do with the health of your engine.

Are you looking at the Idiot Gauge?

They are very inaccurate - anything over ~8psi oil pressure will read as "normal"... about 40psi.

A mechanical gauge will show around 20psi idle (hot) and close to 80psi at RPM... again hot (winter temps can have the pressure knockin' on the door of 90psi).

A hydrodynamic journal bearing should have at least 5psi of clean oil for minimal friction.

I have a pressure gauge that reads from the oil filter head, and I see ~25psi at idle when hot and about 50 when cold. Anything over an idle when cold will push 75-80 psi (which is the bypass in the engine) and that will settle to 60-65psi cruising once the oil fully warms up. It sounds like you could have an issue.

I doubt it's an issue... the factory gauge is a glorified dummy light.

put a real gauge on it and verify the actual pressures before you start getting worried.

First thing I will do is take Ot-Of-Here's advice and check the oil filter. I can spare the $5.00 or so. I do believe it's a flaky gauge though and will replace that next. I do thank everyone for their input and advice. I am never too stubborn to listen to all who would like to offer their wisdom.

Don't bother replacing the factory idiot gauge - they work like that new.

Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge if you want to know the truth.

Neighbor's a diesel mech. I will get one from him and give it a try.