OK, now white smoke!!!

strokedviking

i know it is like 0* out side hear in blairsville but, i dont ever remember diesels blowing white smoke, like all the time. usually i would see it right after start up for acouple seconds, but i just noticed today that when ever i got on the truck it was blowing white smoke. so i romped on it once to see what would happen, and alot of white smoke came out for a sec and then lots of black. so, this white smoke, is this due to the cold ass weather, or are my head gaskets blown? i just dont ever remember diesels blowing out white smoke like gassers when it is cold out, but i could be smoking something also...thanks!

I would say that if the smoke goes away once the truck warms up you are ok. Mine blows a little white smoke when its very cold but goes away once warm

It was well below zero here all day today...my stock 6.0 work truck blew white smoke all day long...even after running for several hours. I noticed it too...since it kinda stood out as different. I was more concerned with the -30 wind chills though. LOL

It was -7 actuall when I started it this morning...without being plugged in...talk about some wierd, loud noises. It was freaky.

yeah tell me about it. i like leave the key half way to activate the glow plugs and then go and brew some coffee in the morning before i crank her over. its like -19* with the wind chill!:bang my truck aint too happy with me right now!!!
but that releves me quite abit. i figured that my headgaskets where done, or i was just going insane!
thanks!

my truck does that all day everyday. but then again it hasn't been above ambiant 5 degrees in the last 3 weeks.

You boys would die if you saw a 12v with some timing on a cold start LOL

I not a 6.0 but I am a 7.3 and she has some white smoke at start up, but the temps have been zero here. When she warms up the smoke goes away, or turns to black depending on if I am on it or not.

Mine blew white smoke and when very cold continued indeffinitely. Diagnosed with a leaking EGR cooler which is being replaced as I type this, along with an Oil Cooler. The tech is also exchanging the 'y-pipe' with a welded shut one.

how are you getting a tech to put a welded up pipe on it? so you are deleating the egr system then?

Not to hijack the thread but i blew my egr cooler up and am replacing the egr cooler with a piece of hose, getting an egr block off plate and putting the aftermarket up pipe in it this saturday..Will be taking pictures if anyone is interested. And also PM me if you have any advice on this mod...thanks again

Betaracer said:
Mine blew white smoke and when very cold continued indeffinitely. Diagnosed with a leaking EGR cooler which is being replaced as I type this, along with an Oil Cooler. The tech is also exchanging the 'y-pipe' with a welded shut one.

Won't that throw a code?

My cooler is blown and no code is thrown..It puked coolant out of the tail pipe and white smoke doesnt stop pouring.

Not that i have heard, lots of people have done it with no great problems...

There is no sensor in the EGR cooler. The valve has one which monitors if it is operating. Since I am not limiting the operation of the EGR valve, there are no codes to throw.

Shouldn't make a difference either way. SCT will just keepit closed all the time