opinions on newer junk

See if they'll let you hook the camper up to see if you can tolerate the Hemi. That's a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere. I can't imagine downshifting will be anywhere close to annoying as the general 2nd gen experience can be! The '11 5.7 hemi truck i had, i thought it felt very similar to my 24V. Obviously not quite the grunt off the line, but got it moving fine, and kept it rolling fine i thought. Chassis felt better though. Get the deeper gears if you go with the hemi, actually seen a lot of claims of the 4.10 trucks getting better mileage than the taller geared trucks. Theory being that the deeper gears make the truck not work as hard, thus dropping it into 4cyl mode more often, burning less fuel. Obviously that's not going to be towing though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Good Lord...I'm having cold sweats over here reading "hemi." :hehe:
Aren't you the one that was complaining about your truck downshifting when passing cars empty?! How about looking at it this way, that extra $10k could be spent on more cattle!

Aren't you the one that was complaining about your truck downshifting when passing cars empty?!

That's at WOT. My truck doesn't have to downshift on hills pulling the RV. My brother has a gaser and a comparable RV. He hits 4K on hills. Screw that. $.02

That's at WOT. My truck doesn't have to downshift on hills pulling the RV. My brother has a gaser and a comparable RV. He hits 4K on hills. Screw that. $.02

But for $10K I would think I could handle 4000RPM on the hills LOL. I do love the power of a diesel, but man if you have a fuel issue on one of the CR's. You could easily have $5k into fixing it. Looks like $40 will get you a gasser injector.

So you window lickers would buy a 5500 to tow a few times a year or even a month? Even worse a dually for a daily driver? The gearing on the 5500 added to the ride would be enough to turn most off. A flatbed is great if you like strapping everything down you ever haul, (or farmer it and just hope gravity holds it).

So you window lickers would buy a 5500 to tow a few times a year or even a month? Even worse a dually for a daily driver? The gearing on the 5500 added to the ride would be enough to turn most off. A flatbed is great if you like strapping everything down you ever haul, (or farmer it and just hope gravity holds it).

No chit. A 5500 is not even close to a necessity in Gary's case. Waste of money, the plates are much more, and maintenance is expensive even if nothing engine wise fails. Daily driving a 5500 is a ridiculous thought.

I'd buy a gasser Gary. Keep the 10-12000.00 dollars at the time of sale, change the oil for less than 50.00, and floor the fukker if you need to tow heavy once in a while. You'll still have your 24v to be your back-up.

looks like pretty fair dealings with minimal out of pocket..cuz money down on a truck is foolish...but man..even 800/mo..crap

Attachments

• stkr.jpg
    stkr.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
  • stkr1.jpg
    stkr1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 0
No chit. A 5500 is not even close to a necessity in Gary's case. Waste of money, the plates are much more, and maintenance is expensive even if nothing engine wise fails. Daily driving a 5500 is a ridiculous thought.

I'd buy a gasser Gary. Keep the 10-12000.00 dollars at the time of sale, change the oil for less than 50.00, and floor the fukker if you need to tow heavy once in a while. You'll still have your 24v to be your back-up.

yeah...im thinking that too...I asked him to work me a deal on that gasser

I'm going to go out on a limb and admit that buying brand new is not something I could ever stomach. A one or two year old truck can be purchased with low mileage, and without taking the hit for the smell of a new truck. You'd cut the monthly payment damn near in half at the same time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and admit that buying brand new is not something I could ever stomach. A one or two year old truck can be purchased with low mileage, and without taking the hit for the smell of a new truck. You'd cut the monthly payment damn near in half at the same time.

I am still thinking in 6 months, there is going to be a fire sale on a lot of stuff, the free COVID money will be gone, taxes will be due, and I think the economy is gonna slump.

Last edited:
On new or used, it just depends on what the incentives are. I've had times where I could buy new for a lower payment because of better financing terms. The used diesel market is retarded imo, but the very few used 6.4 trucks I've seen, where priced way less than a comparable diesel, more than the difference new. Don't get me wrong, I love the diesel, but there's so much extra crap on them now to fail, that costs so much money to fix. If you feel prices are high there, you should really widen your search, might end up with a nice weekend trip while saving a few grand.

Better yet, dump the camper and all your problems are solved. Hotels are nice, never once had to haul my poop home to dump it. Can stay at a lot of nice places and never come close to what campers cost to own.

Three things I try not to own:
1) Anything with EGR
2) Anything with a timing belt
3) Anything expensive enough that I'm compelled to insure it

Better yet, dump the camper and all your problems are solved. Hotels are nice, never once had to haul my poop home to dump it. Can stay at a lot of nice places and never come close to what campers cost to own.
Yeah, get an enclosed trailer for your quads and supplies, and relax in a hotel! I'd probably just camp for real with a tent before buying a camper.

Yeah, get an enclosed trailer for your quads and supplies, and relax in a hotel! I'd probably just camp for real with a tent before buying a camper.

Agreed. I never understood the RV thing.
For remote outposts for weeks away from civilization.. maybe?
I've seen some really extravagant RV's in our shop.
People with multi-million dollar homes, spending days getting their half million dollar RV packed up, filling a 100 gallon tank with diesel, and driving hundreds of miles to sit in lawn chairs at the equivalent of a trailer park.:doh: I don't get it.
Give me a hotel that someone else cleans, and I'll just carry my toothbrush in a bag.

Agreed. I never understood the RV thing.
For remote outposts for weeks away from civilization.. maybe?
I've seen some really extravagant RV's in our shop.
People with multi-million dollar homes, spending days getting their half million dollar RV packed up, filling a 100 gallon tank with diesel, and driving hundreds of miles to sit in lawn chairs at the equivalent of a trailer park.:doh: I don't get it.
Give me a hotel that someone else cleans, and I'll just carry my toothbrush in a bag.

Preach it brother! I work to pay for my house and stuff in it. I don’t want to go sit in a smaller chittier version of my house. We load up dirtbikes and go ride and if we stay overnight we get a room.

Nothing can compare to get where your going, then set up camp and not leave.