Over heating 6.7

kurtswater

Has anyone heard of a bad turbo making the truck over heat. I am running the smarty ME program 5 inch exhaust H&S egr cooler delete and a Dr.Performace fuel box. I have already changed the thermostat so I know that isn't the problem. the truck has 39k miles on it. The thing I find strange is when ever it runs hot I can turn the exhaust break on and it cools off and runs fine.

When does the truck overheat? Does it get to the point of "boiling over", or just running hot? If the turbo had any problems with it you'd be getting a code thrown because of it. However, when your EGTs run higher due to romping on it a bit or whatever with a tuner on the truck it will make your coolant temps go up a bit. Not just because of running the engine hard, but also because the turbo is also water-cooled. Atleast, I'm pretty sure it is. Anyways, you might get better responses on cumminsforum in the 6.7 section. Lots of very knowledgeable guys over there.

When does the truck overheat? Does it get to the point of "boiling over", or just running hot? If the turbo had any problems with it you'd be getting a code thrown because of it. However, when your EGTs run higher due to romping on it a bit or whatever with a tuner on the truck it will make your coolant temps go up a bit. Not just because of running the engine hard, but also because the turbo is also water-cooled. Atleast, I'm pretty sure it is. Anyways, you might get better responses on cumminsforum in the 6.7 section. Lots of very knowledgeable guys over there.

the turbo is oil cooled

Yes the turbo is water cooled as well but when it starts running hot I can run the piss out of it with the E-Brake on the first time I let off the pedal with brake on it will cool back to 190 or so the it won't get hot again until the truck stops and sits the it will boil coolant out

Also it won't do it every day some days it never gets hot other days it will run fine for a while the overheat.

Has anyone heard of a bad turbo making the truck over heat. I am running the smarty ME program 5 inch exhaust H&S egr cooler delete and a Dr.Performace fuel box. I have already changed the thermostat so I know that isn't the problem. the truck has 39k miles on it. The thing I find strange is when ever it runs hot I can turn the exhaust break on and it cools off and runs fine.

Did you ever find out what was causing the problem? We got two 6.7s in the shop right now. I just pulled the heads and it seems they blew the headgasket. The 6.7 blocks dont have coling passages between the cylinders, they have two small ports to the head...like a 400 small block. I think this may end up being the downside of the 6.7 engine. I am going to get some pix before the heads go back on.

I have blown 2 hg with mine. I think its to do with the undersized turbo. 1st one was basically stock, second one was smarty and mp-8. 2nd one was also with arp 425's. Now I have a different turbo and arp 625's and havn't had any problems since.

THey replaced the turbo on mine first because it was not opening up proper the they put a headgasket on it. The problem is fixed now. I sold my smarty and I am running the HS race tuner. I love the tuner because it smokes on everything except the 60hp setting. Yes the EGR cooler is also gone

We changed the thermostat changed on my buddies 6.7, that didn't help. Just got the headgasket changed and studs put in. That aparentally different fix the problem as its still overheading. The headgasket did look bad but don't know thats because it was hot. Going to tear into the water pump now.

seems to me you lifted the head and split the gasket, now when you run it hard it swells from heat, then s0me days you dont run as hard ans dont see the problem, ;;;;; i say headgasket.

seems to me you lifted the head and split the gasket, now when you run it hard it swells from heat, then s0me days you dont run as hard ans dont see the problem, ;;;;; i say headgasket.

We just put a new headgasket in it and added head studs and it was imediately having the same problem.
I'm just trying to think of other things that are common problems. water pump? Cooling fan?

is the fan clutch working Ive seen them not work and u could hold the fan and it would never move

is the fan clutch working Ive seen them not work and u could hold the fan and it would never move

How do you safely test? I could see it being the fan, but we're around 20 degrees now and its already overheated since the headgasket and studs were installed.

My 6.7 gets hot alot to. Definetly need a turbo upgrade im thinkin

Is there a way to keep the exhaust brake with a turbo upgrade? I know twins using the factory turbo as the secondary, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Truck seems to be doing better. He had a smarty and it would overheat when stacked with a Juice/Attitude (I didn't know that before).

i replaced head gasket on mine and head stud it and still blowing antifreeze out the resavoir but only when im pulling a load but with out a load truck does fine.

i replaced head gasket on mine and head stud it and still blowing antifreeze out the resavoir but only when im pulling a load but with out a load truck does fine.
what studs and what torque and how many times have u retorqued