Over heating still

Hurley03

So im still having problems with my pickup overheating but only under load. EGTs clime fast in it too and it is not tuned nor is there a box any where. Here is whats been replaced/ checked.
6 injectors checked 1 cracked and replaced
injector seal kit
thermostat
water pump
ARP head studs
Black OX head gasket
Phatshaft 62 turbo

The head was pressure tested multiple times and checked out, completely rebuilt and machined. All cylinders in block look good no scoring or discoloration, pistons have a little carbon after 225,xxx miles but nothing extreme. Here is where my real issue comes from, somewhere i am getting exhaust into the cooling system fairly bad. I keep hearing that i should replace the hole motor because this one is blown. But no one can show me that the head or block is bad or why my egt temps get so hot so quick even with a new turbo, it did help but not much. Are there any ideas out there as to what might be going on? :nail:

If the black onyx gaskets are anything like the 6.0 ones then there's your problem.

Ryan

Define overheat and high egt's? Irregardless, exhaust in the coolant is usually not a good sign. Most folks will tell you that a stock MLS gasket is best.

High egts im calling a stock pickup pegging over at 1350 at about 3\4 throttle empty and not climbing a hill, i rode in another guys and it didn't seem to do that. granted his was newer and didn't have 220,000 miles on it. over heating im calling will peg the thermostat over on level ground while towing at 55. what im towing is a loaded 27ft 5th wheel. no full tanks of water or anything like that so im about 9,000 im thinking. Dry weight is 7,900 on the trailer but i have crap in there.

what do you have for an air filter, and is it clean? I don't care what turbo you have, but if it can't pull air, temps are going to be hot. Where is the stock iat sensor?

Only way exhaust is going to get into the coolant is through the head or gasket. overheating is just a symptom of a exhaust leak into the coolant. I know you don't want to but pull the head check the block with a straight edge. If it's ok put a stock head gasket and buy another head just to rule out the head you can always sell it but I like to have a spare myself!

what do you have for an air filter, and is it clean? I don't care what turbo you have, but if it can't pull air, temps are going to be hot. Where is the stock iat sensor?

stock intake and filter but a clean new filter

When did it start over heating?

Radiator full of bugs, dirt and grime?

almost 2 years now i have been fighting it. I worked on what i could then took it to a mechanic for the rest. Radiator has been replaced twice one after market and the one now is factory dodge, it looks clean as a whistle. I have sprayed out the inter cooler, trans cooler, ac condenser all to make sure they where letting air threw (did it with a garden hose to make sure i didn't damage anything) also has 2 water pumps to make sure it was not one of them and multiple thermostats. I replaced 3 fan clutches in it because they kept going out and replaced it with flex-a-lite fans that say they can handle it im not sure of the part number off hand.

Only way exhaust is going to get into the coolant is through the head or gasket. overheating is just a symptom of a exhaust leak into the coolant. I know you don't want to but pull the head check the block with a straight edge. If it's ok put a stock head gasket and buy another head just to rule out the head you can always sell it but I like to have a spare myself!

the block is true, they layed a straight edge on it at the shop it is at. I hate to go buy a new head after all the money i dumped into this one but you do have a good point and spare parts never hurt no body.

two waterpumps? what setup are you running and are they up to the job at hand?

I didn't see it mentioned but have you replaced the water temp sensor? Or used a digital temp. gun to check temp?

Last edited:
yes I tried two different water pumps there is not two installed on the pickup.The front bumper is an aftermarket one, it has two rams head designs cut into it that are about the size of the middle out of a paper plate, also has two fog light hole about 5 inches in diameter that do have lights in them but not pressed up tight to the back of the hole. right off the top of my head i can not remember the exact specs on the coolant but it is the red stuff (not prestone). I put about 40-50,000 on the coolant before replacing it. witch amounted to about 1 change a year. A MLS gasket is on the way. hope you all had a good Christmas, and thank you for you input on this subject again.

So has the block been checked for cracks? I have seen cracked blocks (cracked cylinders walls) cause this a few times and which water pump don't run the ones with a ring on the impeller don't flow enough!

did you check for boost leaks? also did you check block pressure to make sure you w.p is pumping. Along with signs of pushing coolant? Before changing the fans did you check to make sure they were properly locking up?

Last edited: