Over Sized DV Holders

There are probably people that have them out and looking at them right now....ok not at 5:30am.

Jim

I was just wondering if its a .078"+ hole needed in the top of the holders why not simply drill them out? Ive drilled through hardened material before, the right bit and patience..... dont know. And the orfice thing came up long ago when i was installing my fullcuts and studying the internals of the pump and DV's, it just didnt make since how enlarging the holders w/o also reworking the orfice under it would add to any more fuel flow. Maybe thier larger as you mentained... dont know i did'nt measure them. Im trying to decide wether to change from the 181's back to the FC's for the ODRA race next weekend, if so i will surly study these components with more precise detail, and make my own opinion. In the hunt for more fuel later the holders will be addressed i just want to be 100% clear on my questionable orfices under the holders. Make since? Anyone else done more digging around?

Ok, ive since found my needed info and have edm'ed holders on the way. The jet that i was refering to like smokem also said has 2 .085 holes on the bottom and 1 .104 hole at the top, so with these numbers being larger than the lines and holders, all is good. Im going with .093 in case i ever increase line size some day. Long ago when i found this i should have just measured it then, but i remembered them being smaller looking than the holes in the holders, guess i was wrong, things like this is how we all learn though you know, questions, more questions, measurments, and sharing info... Ryan

Hey man i Gave you your credit didnt I? And what makes since to you and others is relitive, im the type of person that does 99.8% of all my work and usually find a way around issues that others may find a problem. I was simply wondering why not drill them, thats all. I was told that the center is carbide and the edm process is required, thats the kind of answer that i understand. Know one on this end is questioning any thing about you expec. your honesty. Know what i mean, just being str8 forward and blut, i thought i gave you the credit back for your measurments and thanks again. Ryan

I'm with smokem on this, drilling these out doesn't make any sense to me. I may be wrong but even with larger holders your still restricted by the injector size??? There are guys running sick hp numbers still on 191's not even getting into custom dv's. I would think that increasing the size will only reduce the fuel pressure in the system causing higher egt's, more smoke and a loss in power, hence some one made mention that they had to slide there plate back just to run them?? If your looking for more power I would increase flow thru the pump a.k.a tuning but this is just my observation.

And you may be 100% correct? Thats why were on these forums is to test and tune, for me anyway. All i can go by on things i have yet to try myself is what others have done, and i have a good source that says that my DV's and the new holders will give a min. of another 100cc of fuel, and if there is suff. air to go with that there will be pleanty of power gain, if not enough air then sure you could have more fuel then needed and pull some out with the plate. Im up to see how much fuel this Pro Street 66 wants, this turbo has made tons more power on fuel alone than i ever will. Im like anyone else i dont want to throw money at something and not see a good return, but ive talked to several people latly in person that run a simular setup with good results. And remember this truck sees NO street driving it is a dedicated race truck, maybe this will make the diff. to somes thinking? I agree it would prob. be a bad idea for the street as that much fuel would be dirty and hot and pointless, but for a 1/8 mile at a time i hope its just right! And smokem, i read through all of the sticky earlier on " DV's" for the first time and you mentined something about getting some .093 holders, during your 131 vers 181 test. I was also confused during the reading on the holders and the barrels? I know there are lots of diff. terminology and some have thier own, anyway so you tested the .093's back then and had poor results or what?? What did you have for air then? Thanks Ryan

Maybe i didnt say but for now i still have 181's but the full's that i have to go in a bought from Scheid thier nothing that i "hacked on"? Im switching over to a electric water pump and the new .093 holders later tonight or tomorrow, just wondering if to leave the 181's and try them with the new holders or go right back and try the FC's and new holders??? Whats your opinion Smokem? I want it to run its best for this ODRA race this weekend and have not had much tuning time due to breaking trannys every damn week! This new charge air cooler i have installed should really make the diff. and ive also repiped the snow system, so that i have 1 625ml on the hot side of the CAC and 2 more 625's directly in the intake manifold, ive also put valves in to each to be able to turn each off if needed. I plan to start with just the 1 on the turbo side of the CAC and see how it does? Just not sure which DV's to try this weekend...... i hope these holders will be a good upgrade. Acually the way trannys have been going it seems the power is good enough... but you know how that goes, do you ever really have enough? I want it to run good but sure dont want the same terrible problems ive been having with egt's even with the little 181's, i prob. should leave them and see just how much more efficant it is with this huge new cooler? Thoughts. Thanks Ryan

Yes i have the original .078 line set, and i agree up to a point with you in regards to modifing parts. But not in full, lots of people including myself get big self reward in changing or moding parts IF a good return is had, or meaning your change really made a diff. at no or min. cost. Say for instance im sure youve self modded your plate and maybe even parts in your AFC, if not maybe you should? I was simply looking at the holders in the same light: if the hole just needs to be .078" then why not just open it up my self??, i still would have if the material would have mild steel, but its not its carbide to withstand the high pressure and abrasion of the fuel, so i did what you did and ordered them. Surly you dont run somones $200 plate, with your knowledge of these pumps im sure you have a custom plate you machined your self, as do i. And i agree, i will stick with the 181's for this comming weekend and run them with the new holders and see how see fuels. One more thing, do you not like the FC's from past personal exp. or because its what most people run out a buy because its suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread? Most things have thier purpose, FC's dont belong on the street as do not gutted afc's i would agree with you on that all day long, but I Will be the one a little later to show rather they make more power for what im doing with them, its like anything else all your parts need to be in sink with one another. Im quite sure that big or huge fuel with out enough air is a fat waste of time, hot, slow,.... but i have a big single and all the juice needed to get things cleared up if needed. Ive also since made a lot less agressive plate to try this weekend if needed. Thanks, Ryan

I agree with smokem that FCs or LCs, what every you want to call them, are not good on the street because of there lack of shoulder. This reduces the delivery valve's ability to put an abrupt end to fuel injection and prevent pintle bounce, two of the main purposes of delivery valves.

Yeah they flow more fuel, but they are not ideal for the street. To me they are similar to 370s: cheap and dirty because they are used in the wrong application
On the track it may be a different story

I agree with smokem that FCs or LCs, what every you want to call them, are not good on the street because of there lack of shoulder. This reduces the delivery valve's ability to put an abrupt end to fuel injection and prevent pintle bounce, two of the main purposes of delivery valves.

Yeah they flow more fuel, but they are not ideal for the street. To me they are similar to 370s: cheap and dirty because they are used in the wrong application
On the track it may be a different story

I ran mikeys Dv's for a while with (hot) 370's Honestly.. I could roll into it and have a slight haze.. (street driving was smokeless) BUT if It was from a dig to 80 mph.. forget it Solid black.. I no longer am running that set up..

Good info and reading guys, thanks. Holders will be in tomorrow i will go ahead and install them and keep the 181's for now, see what numbers this setup can deliver and either swap in the FC's at the track or the following weekend to see the differance good or bad.
Thanks again. Ryan

I'll agree here that they are an addition, think of them more like a pump relief system, relieving internal unwanted pressure.

Jim

This is what, your 6th year messin with these things?

Why do you think the DV holder needs to be modified to relieve pressure?

I'm with smokem on this, drilling these out doesn't make any sense to me. I may be wrong but even with larger holders your still restricted by the injector size??? There are guys running sick hp numbers still on 191's not even getting into custom dv's. I would think that increasing the size will only reduce the fuel pressure in the system causing higher egt's, more smoke and a loss in power, hence some one made mention that they had to slide there plate back just to run them?? If your looking for more power I would increase flow thru the pump a.k.a tuning but this is just my observation.

sounds to me i don't think u know what ur talking about

This is what, your 6th year messin with these things?

Why do you think the DV holder needs to be modified to relieve pressure?

And what have you done what! Nothing, everyone else does it and you take credit for it!

Wrong **cking person....Don~

Jim

And what have you done what! Nothing, everyone else does it and you take credit for it!

Wrong **cking person....Don~

Jim

Your not answering the question Jim. One more time: Why do you think the 215 DV holder needs to be modified to relieve pressure? What pressure?

You are on here stating fact that the holder ( in your opinion ) needs to be modifed to relieve pressure. What?

Why do you think this? Why do you tell people this?

Please. Cut the BS and personal attacks and answer why you think the DV holder needs to be opened up

Everybody has there reasons and horsepower recipes. To each there own. Thats what makes everybody different.

Can you just answer and stop avoiding the question?

I could see not needing over sized dv holders on a 215 pump, but what do you think of running them on a 160 pump?

The 215 holder is good for all the stock pumps. 160, 180, 215. Actually a 13mm pump is fine with a 215 holder too.

My point here is to try and explain why the 215 holder should not be modified and to let everyone know the holder is not restrictive. That is an urban legend. Paying to have a set of holders modded is a waste of cash. The first person to get a 215 holder and a small gage screwdriver in their hand wins a prize.