Overdrive

Hi all,

I'm new here, a long time lurker and finally making my first post here on this great forum.
Already got a lot of information and help out of the forum, just from reading almost every topic. Thanks for that.

Now, seeing this topic, I got a specific question:
I recently added a TC-Lockup switch, which works fine, but the thing is, in whatever gear I apply the switch, the tranny shifts straight into OD and TC-Lockup.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to split up OD and TC-Lockup, in a way that it would only lockup TC, in whatever gear it sits, whenever the TC-Lockup switch is applied.

The VB in my 47RE still is original, but I'm about to order a Transgo shift-kit and billet pistons and such.

Thanks a lot in advance
Bernardo

added: did not even remember that I already posted earlier, so please ignore the first post thing haha

Last edited:
^^^ o/d off button.

Thanks for your reply.
Just went for a drive and checked again, and your absolutely right.
In D, with OD off, it just locks up, no OD at all, but jumps directly into third gear to lockup the TC. At any speed. :doh:

Being in first or second gear manual, the switch has no effect at all.

I guess that makes it 2 questions, somehow connected to each other:

1. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the tranny from shifting straight into third gear?

2. How do I get TC lockup in first and second gear manual?

Thanks a lot
Bernardo

It stacks shifts because it is programed to be in 3rd or OD when lockup is engaged. AFAIK the only way around that is to shift manually which is what I do with mine. I understand your VB has to be modified to lock in first and second. I didn't have a switch on mine before I had a different VB so I don't know that for sure.

Last edited:
It stacks shifts because it is programed to be in 3rd or OD when lockup is engaged. AFAIK the only way around that is to shift manually which is what I do with mine. I understand your VB has to be modified to lock in first and second. I didn't have a switch on mine before I had a different VB so I don't know that for sure.

Only has to be modified to lock in 1st. With a switch you can flip it in first, and it will lock as soon as it hits 2nd. But it still should not be hitting lockup before overdrive unless you tell it to, because Dodge would not want you doing locked shifts from 3rd to OD LOL

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

It stacks shifts because it is programed to be in 3rd or OD when lockup is engaged. AFAIK the only way around that is to shift manually which is what I do with mine.

Could we maybe change that with some kind of controller box?

I understand your VB has to be modified to lock in first and second.

Does anyone know what exactly is involved in doing that modification?

Thanks
Bernardo

!
I think you have it mixed up here. TC lock-up is the last "shift" you feel or notice. Unless you have the tranny modified or have a TC lock-up switch, it will not shift from 3rd to OD AFTER lock-up.

It's shifting from 3rd to OD at 40 and TC lock-up at 45. Then, everytime you let off the throttle the TC will unlock and then re-lock when you get back in the throttle. The only way around this is a TC lock-up switch, but I don't think you'll like it for the application you've stated. Below 45 in OD with the TC locked you will be turning @ 1400rpm or less depending on rear end gears. You can try it, it's not hard and it's reversible, but I don't think you'll like it.

:clap: Right on Big Papa !!!!!:rockwoot:

Well, hello there! Heard you got everything together and she's pulling good.

sorry for the de-rail but i have a bad 3-4 hang at wot and it will not shift until i let off what could be causing this issue

sorry for the de-rail but i have a bad 3-4 hang at wot and it will not shift until i let off what could be causing this issue

Sounds like the TV cable needs adjustment (or kick down cable or whatever its called)

I have found it to be a TPS issue with my truck when it does that. I put a switch in for OD so i can force it when im racing.

is it the same process as the L/U switch... i have been searching for a thread but cant seem to get the wording right or something. i would just get a new tps but a new baby has me a little short on spare change