p-pump 24 valve build and i have some questions

heins

i finally got the 79 kenworth c500 out of the shop and now i can get my truck in there (after 2 years i cant wait) :nail: but anyways..im not much on words so ill just tell you what i got and y'all can school me. I have built a couple of small blocks but never a diesel :badidea:?

first off...the truck is a 99 exsb 4x4 with a 6 speed. current mods are a edge juice, 275hp rv injectors, fass 150, head studs, and a worn out dual disc. When i bought the truck (with all the mods on it) i was really really depessed on the way it ran:soap: ive have own this truck and two beat to hell 12 valves and the 12 valves would lay waste too this thing hands down (sorry vp44 lovers:lolly:) But i lost my licences for a year and i have the time and money to start tweaking on this thing:evil. im new to b series cummins performance so any construstive criticism or questions are more than welcomed (you guys are the experts)

parts i have: set of marine 12 valve rods
arp rod bolts
pure diesel gorille girdle
12mm main studs
fulid dampener
i havent bought pistons yet(waiting on what the bore looks like) but plans are get a set of stock cummins pistons and have the bowls mechined out and having .250 flycuts in them incase i want to put a big cam in it later down the road) im also getting the rotating assembly balenced
hamilton 200/220 cam
adjustable pump timing gear and billet cover
2nd gen 24 valve head, 110 valve spring, intake pleuim cut off, fire ringed, ported and polished (flowed 280 on the bench)
6x16 ed injectors
billet pushrods
schieds built p-pump 12mm, 600cc's, dual fed, go for 6,000 rpm (bought off a member who had it on a 2.6 pulling truck)
.120 lines, connector tubes

far as turbos that were you exepts come in. i got a s364, s480 (80/96/1.32) s480 (80/92/1.10 t4 and also a t6 housing) and a ht4c (88 inducer with a 90/120 exhaust wheel with a 1.15 housing) what should i do??:nail:

i dont know what im going to do with it yet(daily driver it, pull it, conversation piece) i dont know but my goal is 800 horse on fuel. any advise is appercited. thanks

Why would you flycut the pistons 0.250" on a 4-valve head? Specifics on the S364?

Last edited:
Going to be prett smokey on the street... I would run the 364 and the 90mm that will have a wicked to end with thefuelthats there but if you go with twins don't expect to pull. Start hunting a good clutch to, kennys dual disk or a haisley depending or maybe a Kentucky double. Bouttem end sounds stout as well as the head. I don't see alot of problems with the build as long as you don't plan to town with it.

I'm with smokem though... I don't know the specs on that particular cam but sounds like servere overkill and loss of compression that's not needed.

Why would you flycut the pistons 0.250" on a 4-valve head? Specifics on the S364?

just incase is i want to put a bigger cam in later.. the head has been decked .80 and had the intake valves replaced with exhaust valve due to the 10 degree difference in them

Do you know how much cam would require a 0.250" flycut on a 24v rocker ratio?

i understand what your saying. its pretty radical for the street but i do gotta say streetable is a very wwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddeeeeeeeeee defination for me:lolly:

Ok I assumed stock thickness head. This is going to be an interesting build. You do kind of need to pick what you want it for. We can give beter suggest parts if we know the purpose...

Ok I assumed stock thickness head. This is going to be an interesting build. You do kind of need to pick what you want it for. We can give beter suggest parts if we know the purpose...

well to be honest with you me and a buddy are sorta in a contest with eachother. he did about the same build as me but hes gotta 12valve. sorta a contest if you know what i mean. all im after is horsepower and torgue

Well, I'm not the best at judging hp and trq but to me with the twins I mentioned, if they light on a dyno(I don't have high hopes) it seems like a solid 700hp setup if not more when the twins are tuned in.

If you've lost your license for a year maybe a high HP diesel isn't the vehicle you should be driving when you get it back...

Hey man, don't judge..... He may not have lost his license from how he drove at all.... Either way, our job is to give advice on his build. Looks like a serious build to me.

Personally, I'd stay with the cam you've got... It's already a competition cam, any bigger and it won't light on the street at all. Then don't machine so much valve relief in the pistons, which will raise Compression, and be a better mannered machine all around.

All the specs look good for a puller. If thats what you are going for. If you are going to drive it, then i would down size some parts like Smokem Said. Def over kill-money wasted on parts that you really don't need.

Do you know how much cam would require a 0.250" flycut on a 24v rocker ratio?

no i dont..i take it its not realistic?

I have a 200/220 in a 4 valve engine with nothing more than a .010 over gasket. I know you may want to go larger later on, but without putting any effort into figuring I would think .090 would be plenty deep.

Last edited:
you cant even cut stock SO pistons .250 can ya? i was thinking like .150 was all you could go like ya cant go .250 in a 12v without mahle or marine pistons without getting into the steel.