p-pump 24valve or common rail?

jamesl

elbows deep
title says it all if you had a 24v truck and the dreaded vp44 died and you didn't want to replace with another what would you do and why? I look at it as pretty close to the same money to do either. i decent mileage common rail engine can be had for around 4000-4500 dollars. assuming you buy a p-pump kit from haisley or who ever plus a p-pump you are already up close to 3000. some may argue that the p-pump is and always be king, as the months go by im thinking this is no longer fact. with duel fuelers and other supporting mods more than 1200hp can be had with a common rail correct? are injectors still a big problem with the common rails? i know that they are still down on rpm's compared to a p-pump but i only give it time, as some seem to have "said" they have broke 4k rpm's. i want both sides of the band wagon to join in...what would you do?:rockwoot:

P-pumps can be had for ~1k (or less if you know where to look). You'll need to change over injection lines ($300), use stock injectors, change the pump gear ($280) and the front cover ($190). Also the cam if you want to run a mechanical lift pump if you don't already have lift pump to support the ppppump.

CR's are nice for tune-ability and the mods are really starting to ramp up.

What are your HP goals? If it's under 650, then stick with the VP.

Just for the driveability part of it I would go common rail.I know I have one and I am alittle biased,but regardless of the high horsepower the commonrails can easily be turned down for everyday use.I dont know about the cost difference between the two but I think the commonrail is easier to make alot of horsepower.

RCCX said:
Just for the driveability part of it I would go common rail.I know I have one and I am alittle biased,but regardless of the high horsepower the commonrails can easily be turned down for everyday use.I dont know about the cost difference between the two but I think the commonrail is easier to make alot of horsepower.

I dont know much about either or

the p pump conversion, or the common rail, But for what the work is worth and the ease of tuning a box, and dual cp3 capability that may flow as much fuel as a modded P pump, Its kinda hard to argue against a common rail..

If my 12 valve gets sold, im goin the common rail route....

Rick

joefarmer said:
P-pumps can be had for ~1k (or less if you know where to look). You'll need to change over injection lines ($300), use stock injectors, change the pump gear ($280) and the front cover ($190). Also the cam if you want to run a mechanical lift pump if you don't already have lift pump to support the ppppump.

CR's are nice for tune-ability and the mods are really starting to ramp up.

What are your HP goals? If it's under 650, then stick with the VP.

hp goals are mid 700's to 800 on fuel to play on the street, play with the giggle gas on the dyno and shoot for 1k hp eventually. with all i have now im thinking im in the mid to low 500's as soon as the trans is put in. i could use some more air but thats not a problem.

my thinking is if im all electronic with the vp why go backwards if at all possible? still have the tune-ability of the vp with the CR plus a bonus of being able to spool big turbos easier for street manners.

is this even feasible?

common rail with small injects and twin cps made 610 on dyno with a ps 66 @30 lbs of boost,at 45 lbs would be about 640 im guessing.one small jet of nos pushed me to 760hp and there was enough fuel left from the looks of dyno grapf to go to atleast 850 if not 950

my wifes 04.5 is making 700hp on #2 without a stack. Turn it down to around 600 for everyday driving. Haven't dynoed with the mp8 on at all.:rockwoot: Who knows what it is capable of, but it gets 23mpg at 62mph.$.02

sootman said:
my wifes 04.5 is making 700hp on #2 without a stack. Turn it down to around 600 for everyday driving. Haven't dynoed with the mp8 on at all.:rockwoot: Who knows what it is capable of, but it gets 23mpg at 62mph.$.02

Not trying to hijack here,

Sootman where do you dyno at?

sootman said:

That sounds a bit high... care to share some mods???

if it were me id go with the CR, it is possible, one of my instrucotrs at school bought a 01 V-10 2500 and put a CR in it. and just think of all the weird looks you would get drivin down the road. that deep CR sound in a 2gen. if you have the money go for it.........my next truck will be a Comor rail.:bow:

that deep CR sound in a 2gen
I always thought the CRs sounded like a sick 24v lol. Would there not be lots and lots of ECM/PCM issues to deal with swapping a CR into a VP truck? Would it not be way cheaper to sell the VP and just buy a CR truck to start with?

duke1n said:
I always thought the CRs sounded like a sick 24v lol. Would there not be lots and lots of ECM/PCM issues to deal with swapping a CR into a VP truck? Would it not be way cheaper to sell the VP and just buy a CR truck to start with?

I have had both trucks and prefer the 24v responsiveness and sound.
im also wondering this but what about the people swapping them into the new fords and such? im sure they have to cross this line to make everything work. i never said it would be easy.

on edit: i love the way bubba1's p-pumped 24v sounds!

I agree on the 24v sound,I believe a straight piped 24v is the best sounding rig on the road

RCCX said:
Not trying to hijack here,

Sootman where do you dyno at?

Rc, we are putting together a dyno day at HP. Sept. 8th. You in? I go there to dyno.

HP as in Houston Performance,if so I was trying to get ahold of them to rent the dyno for some tuning and make sure they do diesels.Alot of the shops around Houston are very anti-smoke.What kind of dyno is it?

Timbeaux38 said:
That sounds a bit high... care to share some mods???

Not any ultra high top secret stuff, but it has stupid big sticks, SB, my pump, my rail, my exhaust, PPE, my tubes, some motor stuff,etc... oh yeah my tranny.

RCCX said:
HP as in Houston Performance,if so I was trying to get ahold of them to rent the dyno for some tuning and make sure they do diesels.Alot of the shops around Houston are very anti-smoke.What kind of dyno is it?

He is anti-smoke, but me and Steve go way back. I am investing in the exhaust piping to keep out the soot. He will tell anyone else no, but me. I am not sure if we can accomidate trucks with stacks. If I can't get 20+ trucks then I will rent the dyno for a few trucks. He has a dynojet.

could we get a clip of the p pumped 24 valve. and could u swap a p pump on a 24 valve w/o a schied kit if u had a spare 12 valve

common rail... or a 12v...

either way, don't hodge-podge your current engine... replace it with another so that you can sell off the current one and offset some cost

Forrest Nearing said:
common rail... or a 12v...

either way, don't hodge-podge your current engine... replace it with another so that you can sell off the current one and offset some cost

i dont understand when you say hodge podge? they are factory parts going into a factory engine? im sure there a plenty of p-pumped 24v's running around just not on these forums. could you please explain?