p pumping a 1st gen

1stgencummins17

just a sled puller
Im getting ready to p pump my 1st gen i have the pump timing case an cover gear with nut an washer an fuel lines. I have 6x.018s in my truck rite now im gonna take those out an get the bodies swapped an pop pressure set to p pump pressures so im good on injectors also. I kno i need the throttle linkages tv cable tps an bracket oil line an the rest of the pump brackets. What else do i need to do this like small parts tht could be overlooked i wanna make sure i have everything before i tear into this.

Also ive been leaning toward a aeromotive a1000 with adjustable regulator for fuel pump. Would it be easier an cheaper to get an airdog or go ahead an go with the aeromotive?

Last question if you were doin this would you go ahead an put in a aftermarket cam or put the stocker back in? truck is a dd that will be sled pulling alot an maybe a little racing

any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

You will have to fab up a fuel return from the p-pump I just use my stock hook up and used small rubber hose to hook to it. As far as a cam if you have the money get one, I prefer Hamiltons new 181/210 grind if you don't want to check valve clearances. Check your cam bearings also while your in there. It might be better to go with a airdog but that's something you can change later on. You will not be able to use your 1st gen ve pump injector body's you will have to get 2nd Gen p-pump body's and put your tips on them.

ok im also thinking about dual feeding the pump can that be done with a airdog? How did you go about hooking up your fuel shutoff solenoid? i was thinking about just using a pull cable but idk if that would work

Yes duel feed is possible you will have to just use a T. I hooked the shut off selinoied up to the original shut off wire mine lasted for a month then went out. I went down to my local hardware store and got a lawn mower throttle cable and it works awesome I will get pics of it tomorrow.

5GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

8GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

9GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

heres how i ran my fuel shut off, i know its 2nd gen but you get it.

Does it open up all the way like that? I tried it that way and couldn't get it to move the shut off lever open all the way.

It should just change the rod around on the pump like he did so it pulls back and not up. Also when I P-Pumped my 93 I used the stock throttle cables and bracket just cut and mounted it onto the pump, worked mint. I also used the choke cable shut down.

what did you guys do about the fuel filter on the head an did you keep the stock lift pump on or use a block off plate? also i plan on getting a hellman sump what did you do with the stock line on the fuel tank and how did you do the fuel return on the tank?

what did you guys do about the fuel filter on the head an did you keep the stock lift pump on or use a block off plate? also i plan on getting a hellman sump what did you do with the stock line on the fuel tank and how did you do the fuel return on the tank?

Just order a airdog or FASS it will make your world way easier! The stock ve lift pump won't work with the p-pump nor will the filter housing, I just went to the auto parts store and bought a chevy block off plate and pulled the stocked off. In order to use a 2nd gend lift pump you have to trim the tappet cover and bend the line a little to make it clear just a lot easier to buy a aftermarket one.

Just order a airdog or FASS it will make your world way easier! The stock ve lift pump won't work with the p-pump nor will the filter housing, I just went to the auto parts store and bought a chevy block off plate and pulled the stocked off. In order to use a 2nd gend lift pump you have to trim the tappet cover and bend the line a little to make it clear just a lot easier to buy a aftermarket one.

What I did....

i already decided im gonna buy a airdog i just need to kno what to do with the filter housing? Just take the filter off an its good or what?

yes just remove the filter and the stock lines, also remove the stock lift pump and put a block off plate in its place.

ok easy enough. What about the lever that shifts the gears on the tranny does tht need to be 2nd gen or can i leave the one thts on there?

ok easy enough. What about the lever that shifts the gears on the tranny does tht need to be 2nd gen or can i leave the one thts on there?

I have a manual so not sure but almost positive you have to have the 2nd Gen one.

Leave the gear shift lever alone. Swap out the throttle valve lever for the 2nd gen one.

ok guys some more questions. I need to know what to do with the oil line if anyone has some pics that would be awesome!!! Also i have a manual pump linkage that came with the pump, i am not gonna be using tps so im gonna use this but it needs the throttle cable an tv cable will the 1st gen ones work or do i need to get 2nd gen ones?

The easiest way to do the oil line would be to get the "T" fitting and oil line off the 2nd Gen motor for the p-pump. The T threads in to the block replacing the 90* you have now that feeds the vacuum pump. The vacuum pump oil line screws onto the bottom of the T and the pump feed line attaches to the top of the T.

On my brothers truck we used the 2nd Gen throttle cable because the stock one was too short, if yours reaches then you can use it. I can't remember about the TV cable but I think we used the 2nd Gen one.

I'll try the throttle cable off mine then an see what happens would u happen to kno wat size that tee fitting is if I can't find a second gen motor

Should be 1/8" NPT male x -4 JIC male. The stock setup is actually two fittings. A short nipple with a tee on it.

A newer block may have metric o-ring instead of the 1/8" pipe.

Last edited: