P0234 Turbocharger Overboost Condition – With a TS MVP?

Nighthawk

Went on a camping trip over the long weekend with the truck camper and got a check engine light for a p0234 (turbocharger overboost condition) twice. The first time was going to the camp ground on a major hill climb and the second time was on the way home when I was heading up a small hill in a 20mph headwind.

I had the truck scanned at a local shop along the route when the first check engine light came on and the scanner indicated that only a p0234 (turbocharger overboost condition) had been triggered. Since I have a TS MVP Box (knob set to off for towing), I though it this code was odd and the shop cleared it. Boost was about 25psi when the light came on the first time so I tried to limited boost the rest of the trip to 20psi but the headwind caused it to jump to 25psi again when the trans downshifted.

So after my long winded post, I was hoping someone could help me out an explain:

1. If the TS MVP does boost fooling when set to stock (maybe not), plan to call to ask as the box may have took a dive.

2. If there could be another reason why the code would be set if the TS MVP is working as it should because there was no defueling/reduced power when the code was set.

:thankyou2:

I ordered a code scanner and should arrive tomorrow for confirmation on the check engine light.

Does anyone have insight on the potential issue? I did call TS, but before I list want they told me I want to scan the truck.

As an update/close to issue.

I scanned the truck with the code reader and it indicated that a p0234 had been triggered again as I suspected. When I talked to TS about what had happened, they let me know that when the MVP is off, its is truly off meaning no boost fooling occurs. I took the truck camper back to the property with the TS MVP at 25% and everything went well, so seems to have solved one issue.

While this was good information, I am now deciding what to do as I wanted to get upgraded injectors (rv275s) and run the truck on the stock setting with the injectors for towing. Why, well I am hesitate of running increased timing with the increased engine load created by towing.

Besides just running a boost fooler, does anyone know if there is a box/flash programmer that does boost fooling no mater what setting (stock fuel to wild)?

Last edited:
:poke: Anyone?

So to ask the same question again, does anyone know if there is a box/flash programmer that does boost fooling no mater what setting (stock fuel to wild)?

You could just buy a boost fooler. I think you're worrying way too much about what's going to happen with a 65hp box while towing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds like for your needs, a boost cooler will be the end solution.

I must have an odd 01 truck. I have never had an over boost code.

You could just buy a boost fooler. I think you're worrying way too much about what's going to happen with a 65hp box while towing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I picked up a boost fooler for free (old Quad make), but it would be nice to not to disconnect/reconnect devices. The worry is over a stock 47re + hp for the box + added weight of the camper.

You do realize there are guys on CompD with 1400hp tow rigs?

I don't have the added drivetrain updates

I think the smarty does

I know the Smarty does boost fooling but from the literature it says it starts with SW# 2, which adds fuel. I was hoping from a stock base tune with boost fooling, but looks like I will just run a boost fooler when towing.

Thanks

Last edited: