P7100 Conversion Questions...

bnold

Cummins. What else?
Ok so I have my 4th VP on the way out and have seriously been considering swapping in a P7100.. I recently acquired a 97 12V 5spd motor that has an unmolested 913 pump.

I can use the pump, timing cover, linkages, shut off solenoid and timing gear from the donor motor and part out the rest...
The lines I can purchase from Haisleys or Scheid or something along with a cam sensor relocate kit.
I'm hoping I can figure something out with my FASS 150 to supply the needed pressure for the P7100.. 45spi right?

I know there are many opinions out there as to whether or not this swap is a smart or feasible one... Some think it is great, others horrible...
My wants-
-Truck that can be driven with good manners
-Truck that can tow well, without watching the EGTs like a hawk
-Would like her to put down 500hp on the rollers fairly consistently.. Dont really need to see 600+hp again.... I'm ready for a truck that is ready to work and ready to have some fun without worrying about the damn VP!

This truck is not my daily driver anymore.. She comes out to play every now and then and whenever a trailer needs towed...

My biggest question relies on the injectors.... I currently run Mach 6.5s. I emailed don an he said that in order for the injectors to run "100% of what is expected", I need to have him machine some new parts to make them act like more of a P7100 injector... and it was not just as simple as adjusting pop pressures.. The custom injectors are pricey to say the least and may be a deal breaker for me.. Others seem to have been able to run other injectors with little issues.. Others never can seem to get it right... What to do here???

Was considering doing a Helix cam at the same time while the truck would be apart, but don recommended me against the helix and P7100 combination...

Dunno guys looking for some input here??
Should I do it?
What injectors to run? Keep the Machs and pay the customizations? Sell and run others?
What else do I need to know?

DO IT, is what I say. I PPumped my 01 and I love it. As far as injectors goes 500hp is within reach with your mach's. EGT's well with twins I would think you'd be fine. Mine are.There will be alot of tuning to go along with the PPump to get everything dialed in right dont think you can just pop it on a presto 500hp but there is plenty of help on here if you need it just do a search. My opinion a cam is not necessary for what you're trying to do. Just be sure you to do the swap right the first time so you wont have all the bugs. I didn't!! and it was a nightmare still don't have a tach. It just makes things easier and more enjoyable not to have to worry about tach, A/c and charging system but you will have that covered with the cam sensor relocator. I think you will be pleased with everything if you do the conversion, but there will be plenty others who disagree. Good luck!

You are going to have to get a different FASS pump or Airdog or whatever brand. The FASS 150 that you have wont put out 45 psi.

I suppose if anybody wanted to cruise this thread on over to the Ppump section that would be cool!

If you're looking for 500hp and not much more, I'd ditch the M6.5's for something smaller. I did 450hp on a set of Jammer 2's with a gutted afc (hurt me more than anything). The truck ran fine on the VP 24v injectors. This is the first I have heard of machining special bits for the conversion. RonA has run a couple different F1 injectors on his truck, he could probably enlighten us to what those are.

My EGT's didn't change much for normal driving going from VP to p-pump, so I imagine with twins you'd still be able to tow relatively comfortably. My driveability increased when I did the conversion, mainly due to getting rid of that POS HRVP.

I had an older Fass 150, only way of getting the higher pressure out of it was swapping the pump from the 1010 models. I bought a FASS95 1010 instead and sold the older one. Was cheaper that way for me.