p7100 gear key

kasey200

Kinda a dumb question....... Is ther supposed to be a key in the gear/shaft for a p7100 pump. I don't know much about these pumps but i pulled mine off because i am cleaning and painting the block. when i pulled the gear off i didn't notice a key but i do see that the gear and shaft are cut. I would think there is supposed to be a key for timing purposes. If so does anybody know where a guy could pick one up. I know they sell universal keyway material where you just cut it to length but somtimes these things are a little more specialized.

Thank you!

The earlier VE pump was keyed, the P pump is not just a tight tapered fit.

okay, thank you! that makes sense. Why are thry cut for a key?? (just curious)

okay, thank you! that makes sense. Why are thry cut for a key?? (just curious)

Not sure, the pump has no dynamic timing ability so if it was keyed it could never be adjusted from the factory spec. The little VE has 3 bolts that can be loosened and turn the whole pump like a distrib. in a gasser. Ignore the book on the torque spec. of 144# clean the snot out of each and torque to 180 or it will or can slip.

Although.....mine sliped this weekend at the track again and Im giving idea to keying it since I know where I like my timing 90% of the time..... anyone ever done this, it wouldnt surprise me that some of the 13 and the 14mm pump guys have thiers keyed......?

Adjustable p-pump gear is cut for key, original p-pum gear is without.

Im talking about milling a reciever groove in the stocker? Cheap and would fit behind the factory cover.?.

The adjustable gear fits behind the stock cover. You just cant access it to adjust the timing without a modified cover.

Adjustable p-pump gear is cut for key, original p-pum gear is without.

Mine is cut for a key?? this has been a work truck for our company since it was new. Do you think the gear has been replaced?

Although.....mine sliped this weekend at the track again and Im giving idea to keying it since I know where I like my timing 90% of the time..... anyone ever done this, it wouldnt surprise me that some of the 13 and the 14mm pump guys have thiers keyed......?

You could have the pump timed internaly and then key the gear so it is still advanced but the gear cant slip, just a thought.

how hard should it be for a guy to pull the gear on the front of the pump. i pulled the oil fill and put the puller on and gave it enough torque to start stripping the puller. any suggestions?

RE

try turning on the two bolts on the gear to back it off maybe give it a little tap with a hammer....

i've never had an issue pulling the gear, usually half a turn on each of the 2 puller bolts and walla.

Some of the gears I have pulled been pretty tight. I just turn the screw until it won't go much further, then give the puller a whack with a dead blow hammer. Works like a charm.

ok, and see thats where i was going with the hammer lol but i also know that also ends with broken results and i was quite frustrated enough to intentially break anything yet. and from reading this, i don't have to worry about a key dropping into the gears right? hopefully after i get that gear off i'm a couple bolts from pulling that pump cause i've already dissassembled everything else.

aight boys, thanks for the information... thats whats really great about this forum. someone always has the information and experience you wish you had lol

how hard should it be for a guy to pull the gear on the front of the pump. i pulled the oil fill and put the puller on and gave it enough torque to start stripping the puller. any suggestions?

Not trying to be a smart ass but did you remove the big nut that holds the gear on?

Back