P7100 LP pressure regulating, boost ref. or not?

Hurley

BLAKLUNG
I've seen some recent discussion in Dtanklage's thread (http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56086) regarding boost referenced LP pressure regulation, and wanted to carry that over to a new thread to get some more intense discussion going.

What do you think?

- base pressure of 15psi with 1:1 boost reference up to xx (twins running high boost would probably pose some issue with this setup...discuss)

-set it and forget it @ xx psi

and with which LP?

- stock
-high flow electric
- FASS, AirDog

I know this will also be based off of the desired power level too.

Depends on what you want to end up with, if you want to strip out all the stock stuff then I personally like and Airdog after I got around one. Fuel pressure should be no more than 40 all the time, I have tried big fuel pressure on the dyno going from 50 to 100 and gained zero hp.

Jim

As far as anything over 40psi, I dont desire it.

Here's a newbie question:
If I have an electric pump, set at 40psi (constant) @ idle, will it still retain 40psi throughout the range of fuel consumption... or will it dip as more fuel is required for the engine?

EDIT: i suppose the increased fuel consumption would cause a dip in the backpressure-then more fuel would be flowing through the LP @ the set pressure, until the pump capacity has been reached.

If there is enough supply it will keep up, supply meaning volume not pressure.

Example: Everyone knows I still run a stock lift pump but run an aux system too, with the aux system I run duel inlets, one goes in the stock inlet(haisley setup) and the other to the front, both are 6AN so I run a 10AN from the pump/filter to 6 inches away from the inj pump to a Y block the to feed. It drops only a few pounds at full throttle and is at 50 psi with both on, stock pump is set at 35.

I was working on Brian Carters new toy the other day(tuning the pump) and he had an Airdog 150 on it, that setup is too sweet and has a 8AN from the filter to the inj pump with a single inlet, that is enough fuel to me.

Jim

so what say you regarding boost referenced regulation?

don't do it.... If you have an airdog, a fass, or any other fuel system you would like to design, it will be fine... IF the pump has the flow...... A regualt internal or bypass regulator will do the job nicely.

What about the guys running the A1000 and boost reference? any input? what about setting an A1000 to 40psi & "forget it"

Dtanklage has some nice regulator pics somehwere

Why not run the AirDog @ 40 psi and get air removal and keep your injection system happy all the way through.

Perfectly viable option. I whole-heartedly believe that most any setup will produce power, do remember that. I'm just after some discussion for the various setups I've read about in the past few months.

Why not run the AirDog @ 40 psi and get air removal and keep your injection system happy all the way through.

how do you keep the inj system happy while retaining the retarded stock ofv?

how does a air dog get more air out of the system then one that is flowing fuel straight thru the pump and back to the tank (ie no reg before ip)?

Does the Airdog regulate going into the P-7100 or on it's way into the tank after the P-7100?

So if I remove the overflow valve and put a hollow banjo bolt it will still keep set pressure (40 psi) at the pump?

correct me if I am wrong, but the only way to regulate pressure for the P7100 is via some type of backpressure regulator - be it the OFV, or some aftermarket unit.

I thought the stock OFV was removed for FASS/AirDog applications - anyone want to chime in?

No, the AD and FASS regulate pressure in the outlet line of the pump bodies. They do nothing with the system post IP. If you were to remove the overflow valve, they would not have enough flow to create the friction needed for desired pressure.

so how does that play with the performance of the OFV?

would it be better to run a different style regulator, like the Aeromotive you run?

Typically the overflow has an orifice small enough, especially in aftermarket OFV's, to restrict the volume enough and allow the pump to build sufficient pressure. You could shim the valve, but that would just be like putting a plug in the port and deadheading into the pump. You would loose the cooling effect of the fuel flow if you did that.
If the pump were to use every last drop of volume, the overflow could close before that and keep the full volume going into the IP. This is the advantage of using an OFV over a restrictive orifice or flow control valve on the outlet of the pump.

For the money it doesn't make much sense to run two regulators.

This topic is better suited to the use of pumps like the A1000 or mechanical pumps without an internal regulation system. I understand FASS and AD's are great systems, but please stop trying to sell me one, I don't want to buy it.

A good scenario for this question is if you had a pump (pump only) picked out and were looking at what regulator to use. Should you go with a boost referenced regulator (and what to set it at) or just set a regulator at 45psi and leave it.

A good scenario for this question is if you had a pump (pump only) picked out and were looking at what regulator to use. Should you go with a boost referenced regulator (and what to set it at) or just set a regulator at 45psi and leave it.

I'm personally leaning toward this thought process, currently an A1000 with boost reference has been my thinking.