P7100 Shut of Solenoid

dzlfarmboy

Supporting Vendor
How have some of you guys that have done a 12v conversion wired up your fuel Solenoid Shutoffs, and Im not talking about with a manual cable. Id like to have work with the key on. ANd I have a Painless wiring 7 post key on HOT for other things I was thinking about using to make it work. Any tips would help.

Thanks Brett

There are 3 wires for the solenoid, one 12v keyed, one ground, and another 12v that comes one when cranking to pull the solenoid, then shuts off after cranking.

Other than that, I can't tell you much on the wiring.
Chris

Chris nailed it you have the pullin coil which it tied to the starter solenoid, and then you have the holdin coil which is off of the keyed ignition. You could run a wire from the starter solenoid to the pullin coil on the shut off switch. This is just from the top of my head, I haven't seen how the actual starter is wired up to know what wires are available.

I have to look at mine but the jist is this way....Black is Gnd....(obviously) I believe the red is start and draws about 45 amps so you need a starter solenoid to run this and is energized through your starter circuit, the Yellow (I think) is the run and only draws minimal current and I used the PCM Power Relay for this (key on ). I will confirm the fuel colors..

Tim

Also, make sure the "pull" coil doesn't stay energized after starting, or you'll be buying another one!

Chris

I have to look at mine but the jist is this way....Black is Gnd....(obviously) I believe the red is start and draws about 45 amps so you need a starter solenoid to run this and is energized through your starter circuit, the Yellow (I think) is the run and only draws minimal current and I used the PCM Power Relay for this (key on ). I will confirm the fuel colors..

Tim

The Pull wire is white one(the ctr one) and the Hold is the one (red) that goes to keyed 12volts.

Ok so I can tap the Red wire to my Painless wiring Key on Hot, Ground the Black wire, and run the white wire to the Solenoid wire on the starter???

Ok so I can tap the Red wire to my Painless wiring Key on Hot, Ground the Black wire, and run the white wire to the Solenoid wire on the starter???

I would run the white wire through a relay, triggered from the S terminal on the starter, just to be safe!

There's a lot of juice and heat involved with that solenoid!

Chris

Yes there is and if the starter hangs enguaged it WILL fry it so there is $200.00 or so down the tube...:badidea::banghead::doh:

I would run the white wire through a relay, triggered from the S terminal on the starter, just to be safe!

There's a lot of juice and heat involved with that solenoid!

Chris

what size relay and wire should be used? will it be heavy gauge wire from battery to the relay then to the solenoid, and then for the signal wire what size wire should I use? or do I have this all wrong?

what size relay and wire should be used? will it be heavy gauge wire from battery to the relay then to the solenoid, and then for the signal wire what size wire should I use? or do I have this all wrong?

No just like some 12-14 guage. I will try to load a nice paint pic layout of how I have mine done after I look at it tonite.

so 12-14 gauge wire...what Amp relay?

is this right?

275650.jpg