Perkins engines anyone?

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
At work we got a new forklift. It's an older Hyster with a 33,000lb lift rating and a inline 6 perkins engine. I cannot find any numbers on the engine except that it has a Lucas pump, if I read it right it is a KSA model pump. Does anyone know anything about these engines? It's running a little bad, and I've been working on the hydralics all day, plan to try and make the engine run better as soon as I get everything working in the hydralics department.

If anyone knows anything about perkins engines, or where I could find info feel free to help me out here.

thanks,
GEorge

6 cyl is probably a 354. Perkins used that engine for everything! Find an older Massey Ferguson dealer, or some one who know's Oliver/White tractors and they could probably tell you where to start!

Chris

Thanks for the direction to start. I'm not sure what model Hyster we have, only that it si rated for 33,000lbs. I'll see what I can find out about a Perkins 354 though.

George

i got a perkins in my big generator for my dads small sawmill. its nice!

Probably just a Roosa Master or StanaDyne pump...I can do it, but I don't know how to tell you to do it:D I just learned that while I'm dynoing tractors, which parts to change to get he power where it needs to be!

I'm sure someone will help you out:D

We have Perkins engines in some of the lifeboats we inspect on offshore platforms. Try calling British Marine. They're out of Oakland, CA. 510/534-2757. Leanne Hardy is who we usually talk to although it's been a while.

I don't want to turn it up, just get rid of the white smoke and figure out the injection system a little to maybe help it run better cold.

George

Perkins is made by Cat, they have one where i work and the said all the parts are interchangeable with the spare Cat motr they have.

perkins engines were used in many many vehicles, from tractors, forklifts, boats, combines and many other machines.. if you have a serial number and or there should be a engine identification tag on the engine some where. i can get most parts for perkins engines.. pm me and i will see if i can help

thanks dustin

First I would check fuel quality and make sure there is a decent amount after the filtersto be sure the filters are not plugged.
If it checks out good Advance the timing....Prolly getting some age and wear...
And a correction Perkins are not made by Cat. Cat bought Perkins awhile back tho, But still are made in the same place, They are interchangable with Cat parts because Perkins supplies all their small engines.

Eric

Thanks guys, as soon as I get freed up some (I'm a machinest) I'll start tinkering with this thing to see what I can make out of it.

Also, how do you advance the timing on a Lucas pump?

Thanks,
George

Alldiesel has a perkins in his stack wagon, love the engine, might want to search dtr, i asked how to turn it up a while back and someone told me, but never got the time to do it.

You can advance it one of two ways, Either the housing is slotted and you can turn it there or by turning the pump shaft which can be done behind an inspection plate.

I saw the long slot that would allow me to turn the housing, but don't know how much to turn it, which direction, etc. I guess I could just go a little at a time and see what happens. I'll do some more research and see if I can find which way to turn it.

George

You need to see which way the pump shaft turns, And turn it the oppisite direction. Now if you are adjusting timing at the hub you turn the shaft the direction of rotation.
I would turn the pump after the engine is up to operating temps while the engine is running with a big pair of channel locks.....Tune it by ear.

There is a flat smooth spot down by the base of the pump is where the motor no. is might have to scrape the paint off it could be a6-372or 6-354. To advance the timeing turn the pump clockwise there is 3 nuts to loosen.there is slotson the base. There is a line on the pump and the block I had my 372 Perkins 3/16" advanced.mine realy liked the timing adv.to 1/4"running down the interstate.but in town raddled to much.If you take the pump off the shaft will only go in one way it has a wide splineon it. I Have alot of part for the 354 and the 372 they are differant than the 6.0 Perkins I have in my Pickup.Cat bought Perkins out in 1998or 99
I do have all the parts to put a turbo on one.
Dale

Dale

Last edited:
Perkins normaly put model number a the front of the engine (cyl1) just below the head gasket on the left side when you are at the front.

You will see something like AD4.203 UA.... for a 4 cylinder 203 ci.