physical diferences on the p7100 internals

camshaw

ok,I've downloaded and read as much as I can find on the ppumps,but what I really want to know is the actual internal physical differences in the years,the 94-95s are the lowest performers, which is what I have. What parts need to be changed out in them to make them better?? Delivery valves? Pump Camshaft? Springs etc??? anybody know the major differences?

ive been wondering the same thing....

by the way, I grew up in garden grove also....

The 96-98 manual pumps referred to as 215 pumps (common numbers 887 and 913) have a v-groove plunger not common to other pumps. Also, it's said they have the best governor assembly but can't give you any details why it's the best governor assembly other then I've been told it's the lightest of the auto p7100 assemblies.

hasnt jeff garmon always run a 160 pump? I think you need to find the right pump builder that knows the tricks of the trade

If the 180 and the 215 are both 12mm and utilize the same cam, and being the 215 has these grooves that retard the timing at greater rack travel, and do not like the 2095 plug for the aid of more fuel or rack travel, then what else is it that gives the 215 pump the best name, or the pump that most desire? Seems like the 180 has the good features of the 215 but dont have the retard notches on the plungers and really benifits well from the adition of rack travel from 19mm to 21mm vea the mack plug... dont know that much about the pumps like your self, but i do know my pump has never been off the truck and puts out at least enough that i cant keep it cool or even under 2000* in the 1/8th with 21mm of travel in the pump. Thats with nitrous and water. At prob. 17-18mm it will run a better but still too hot 1800* or so. I also noticed quite a bit more heat from the EDM'ed holders and 191's, i did them together, thinking of trying the 181's again soon...thoughts?

I think Weston is working on something as we speak to explain this. I was told the 215 shines if the upper helix is used but I don't really understand the workings of the pump's plungers etc. that well so I have no comments.

Thanks, ya im sure theres more to it I just dont know what it is. Then again you hear lots of people sware by the 160 pumps? I am very happy with mine for never have been off the engine and in the hands of a profesional or on a set-up stand.

I think, don't know, that with two helices, the fuel delivery rate is increased. Late injected fuel adds extra heat for minimal crank HP increase. You can advance timing to help with a slow delivery rate pump, but obviously there are drawbacks to super advanced timing.

I venture to guess that 215 pumps can produce better combustion due to faster injection rate.

Glad you brought this thread back to life, maybe Weston will gives his views on this.....

Also curious as why some pumps DV's have shims under them and others do not? Mine did'nt it a [911] pump.

Glad you brought this thread back to life, maybe Weston will gives his views on this.....

Also curious as why some pumps DV's have shims under them and others do not? Mine did'nt it a [911] pump.

Do you mean over top of the spring seat up inside the holder? My 887 pump had different shim counts on each delivery valve but I was told this is not out of the ordinary. I assume it has something to do with equalizing flow on the bench. Obviously you toss this out the window by changing delivery valves or atleast I'd certainly think so.

Do you mean over top of the spring seat up inside the holder? My 887 pump had different shim counts on each delivery valve but I was told this is not out of the ordinary. I assume it has something to do with equalizing flow on the bench. Obviously you toss this out the window by changing delivery valves or atleast I'd certainly think so.

No, i was talking this time of the shims or washers under the DV itsself, some seem to have them and others do not. But ya like the discussion over on the drag section, i do have 1 DV that has a diff. thickness [pair] of washers on the spring under the DV holder, i agree its where the factory balanced the pump to begain with. All 5 of my other cylinders just have 1 shim and thier all the same thickness at around .020" or so.

So what Im hearing, a 160-180 pump with a cam out of a 215, can give the best flow? or can that even be done?

Does any body know anything about the 864 pumps? It’s off of a 230hp motorhome. I have cam numbers and dv numbers but I don't know how they compare to others.

What about a #810 P7100 190HP from a school bus, is it good ?, does it look's more like a 160HP pump or a 180HP pump ?, is that a good pump or not ?

What would you like it to cover? How in depth?

Weston, I for one would love to hear more about the injection cycle detailing specifics regarding how the plunger gets fuel into the injector (spill port, lpc, all that good stuff)! I know you've explained this over the phone to me more then a few times but pictures and diagrams would really be nice. I'm very interested to know more about turning the barrels and why it's good and bad and I feel the only way to truly know (maybe not truly but better understanding) other then disassembling a pump yourself is to have it explained via diagrams. Once again, I know you've explained this over the phone to me, but much is hard for me to understand without some kind of visual information. I think this will go along way to uncovering the mystery of the 630rwhp never been off the truck 160 pumps that seem to be floating around out there:p

P pump pics

Just some break aways of plunger & barrels. Helix & port closure & opening. And some govenor assemblys

Brett

Last edited: