Pike's peak big rig racer Mike Ryan & Gale Banks turbo

It all looks normal sized till that 5or 6"mandrel bend sitting on the engine!

I also ask my self 180 pound of boost????? Not only creating insane discharge temps but having a load of fun with valve springs as well I would think making a attempt running that boost level.

A manifold like this will spool up the turbo like crazy from our experience in the past al do I find the running a bit to long.

I think they are looking for lots of low end power as this turbo can only handle about 1.25Kg/sec if it dos not have an upgraded inlet wheel.

They mentioned it could create 180, bit are only running 75/80 psi.

some truckracers tried those tubeheaders, they never spooled in time and also lost power. There is a reason why European Championship teams mostly use stock log manifolds. That engine is overcomplicated showtrick.

So the turbo sucks air through the supercharger when it spools which takes away the strain on the engine from the supercharger???

Why wouldn't they have the turbo blowing into the supercharger?

95-thuren equipped

Here's a video of the truck drifting at the local Irwindale Speedway.. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dyhDF3pjLk"]video of the truck drifting[/ame]

Sounds more like a ricer than a truck.

It'll be interesting to see how well it performs at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb this week.

Last edited:
So the turbo sucks air through the supercharger when it spools which takes away the strain on the engine from the supercharger???

Why wouldn't they have the turbo blowing into the supercharger?

95-thuren equipped
either way they must have a bypass or the screw will restrict flow.

Definately not a fan of the sound. The only real test though, is how it pulls up the mountain.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

OK, checked Whipple website, that screw flows much more than the turbo they are using but still I don't understand why? It takes hundreds of HP to spin that screw at max flow.

OK, checked Whipple website, that screw flows much more than the turbo they are using but still I don't understand why? It takes hundreds of HP to spin that screw at max flow.

Be nice to have instant throttle response out of the twisties heading up the mountain would it not? One might even say better throttle response making a broad power range might be more valuable than overall power at peak RPM. Screw kinda helps that stuff.

Be nice to have instant throttle response out of the twisties heading up the mountain would it not? One might even say better throttle response making a broad power range might be more valuable than overall power at peak RPM. Screw kinda helps that stuff.

Can be done with single turbo. Well, not instant from zero but it's not needed. You are right about broad power range, peak hp numbers are for dyno queens.

sub'n for results. Like to know how many in the class and what results were.

if I compare Ryans earlier runs to this german hill climb, I'd say german truck is much stronger and handles better. No turbo lag to speak of. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVfpzt3a1s"]Hillclimb Truck Racing, 1400 HP and 5800 NM, Racetruck powerslide no Drift, Bergrennen Gurnigel 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Ryan 2012 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAnKsVHQlYU&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]Semi Truck Slides a 180 Degree Spin and Slam to 2 Point Turn Around - YouTube[/ame]