pistol grip shifter install.??

cumminspower88

i've been wanting to do away with the collumn shifter in my truck, its to loose and doens't work well bump shifting, it allways manages to miss D and hit nuetral. i know it's been done. i want to build a stand for it right next to the fwd shifter. what type of shifter will work and how much work is actually involved? lets see some picturs if you've got them..

DSC00598.jpg

this is mine.when the center seat is down my hand is perfect on the shifter. i have a full manual valve body.

DSC00693.jpg

Here's mine, B&M's pro rachet. I love this shifter 'cuz of the gate for each gear. I had to fab up a brkt that goes on the trans ears, the stock one wasn't positioned right for the cable to reach the trans gear lever.

There are several other who have moved their shifters.....

to make this happen was a bit tricky.the first thing i did was mounted the shifter to the base.then i built the sides.then i pushed on the seat until i liked the shifter level.then i set the plate on the floor.now the floor slopes so i made pie shaped pcs to fill the gap.it took 2 trips to my friends shop to use his welder.i like how it turned out.you can do it different.as the saying goes "there are many roads to chicago" i just diddnt want to reach to shift.this set-up is comfortable.

True on many ways to set it up. The way I set mine up is comfortable for me. If I have my centerseat/console up or down, I can rest my hand on the shifter. I made covers for both side of my frame as you can see one side with the toggle switch panel formed in.

It's also very easy shifting into reverse with thumb action on the lockout lever.

yes i was asking you. did you have to move the center seat back to get that set up in? iam thinking if we tell cumminspower88 what we had to do. it may help him.

Yes, I pulled the center out and welded a stiffener across then on that I welded a 2''x2'' plate with studs so I could attach my frame/stand for the shifter.

I did this so if I sold the truck, I could pull everything out and put it all back to stock. Most of the time when I mod., I set things up so I can return it to stock without too much evidence to show what I've done.

what are you guys doing to relocate your o/d swith? i plan on comletely removing my collumn shifter. will just a regulat swith (button) with a detent work?

I went to radio shack and got a monatary switch for like $3. I now just leave it in tow mode all the time, better shift points.

Look in my pic above and see the red square button.

i just removed it from the factory shifter arm.and stuffed under the lower dash.i never used it.and i never tow the hitch is gone.

mine hits real hard into 4th.and i mean hard.i have to let my tranny guy still test drive it. i just put it in.when i shift into 3rd it runs the rpm then BAM od hits.i diddnt think it was normal and still not sure.it seems to go in fast.can you elaborate more on how i can benefit from this when i dragrace.

I have a diff. trans. 48re which is a 5sp od., there have been times when I've been towing 8K and climbing a 5-8 % grade and get up past 45mph, shifts to 5th then egt's climb 'cuz boost dropped, have to let off let the trans. shift back to 4th then boost comes back up and repeat. This is about 5-8 miles long climb. I would love to have a manual trans. at the point to beable to keep the sweet spot, but that was with the stock turbo too, haven't towed that heavy since twin install, but would love to beable to control the od and keep the trans. in 3rd or 4th. Stay out of 5th until level ground.

I have a diff. trans. 48re which is a 5sp od., there have been times when I've been towing 8K and climbing a 5-8 % grade and get up past 45mph, shifts to 5th then egt's climb 'cuz boost dropped, have to let off let the trans. shift back to 4th then boost comes back up and repeat. This is about 5-8 miles long climb. I would love to have a manual trans. at the point to beable to keep the sweet spot, but that was with the stock turbo too, haven't towed that heavy since twin install, but would love to beable to control the od and keep the trans. in 3rd or 4th. Stay out of 5th until level ground.

call me crazy but i am pretty sure its only a 4 speed.