piston bowl

OK, so the QSB 480 is probably the same design (bowl shape) as the 04.5+ CR pistons?

So which would be better the RV275 or the QSB 480?

I am trying to find some specs on these pistons. The industrial apps normally used 14mm topring depth from the crown, I dont know if this still holds true or not. This particual Qsb engine is CR. Now the pistons are going to be different over an automotive application. So far I am not finding much on this engine. I had mentioned before if Mahle spec'd these pistons they be able to give answers quicker. I dont know if OIL-Burner contacted them or not yet.

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I thought all 12V pistons were the same? I have what I believe is an '89 VE motor out of a Chevy C60, and a '97 P-pump motor. The pistons are different- the part of the hat where the injector fires is perfectly 'coned' on the '89, but the '97 has flat tops on that 'cone'.
My main question is: will the '89s work just as well/better, or should I buy a new set of '97s (or any other year you guys reccommend) for my P-pump build? I already had the '89 ceramic coated because I thought they were the same, and the '97 lost #6 rod, so that piston is trashed.

The pistons should be different - intercooled apps normally have different pistons in. For the p-pump motors there is 3 different auto pistons depending on the rated Hp. Low Hp had 8mm down toprings mid Hp ratings had 10mm and industrial had 14mm down. Then of course you have the 370 marine which is in a different class. I would goto the 97 pistons,

Thanks for the info- so it would be best to get the Industrial '97 pistons?

Well got a QSB 5.9 480-hp piston today, looks good, has 8mm top ring crown,trying to find more out about it. (sorry about bad pics, cell phone.)

scot

Attachments

• 0501081154.jpg
    0501081154.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 0501081155.jpg
    0501081155.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 73
Looks a lot like the bowl from an 03-04 CR engine posted above!

Did you get my PM?
Chris

Here are some better pictures of the Qsb 5.9 480-hp piston. Notice that it has 3 holes in the underside of the piston, I believe there for bowl cooling ?
Piston weight is 1224 grams (2 lbs 11.15 oz) has steel top ring insert. Factory 12v piston weight is 1260 grams (2 lbs 12.45oz) Both pins weight are the same 636 grams. Anyone recognize the logo ( I ) ???

scot

Attachments

Sarge1- I really don't know what HP levels I'm looking for right now, to be honest. I'd like it to be fully streetable i.e. probably twins, but I wouldn't be able to pull in the street class around here, so I'm torn.
Either way I go, I'd say about 500HP...nothing major.

Asauer - I would just stick with the 215 hp spec pistons. If you read the other post. The rings are different between turbo and non-turbo applications. I got a industrial piston that is 10mm down for topring. I have to research to see what part # it is

Scott, Those pistons look like they got some beef to them. I'll see if we have any CR pistons laying around so we can compare. I just got an industrial 12v piston that has the same logo on it as the one you just posted. I have no idea what it represents. You have those 12v pistons out yet?

coating the pistons is a great way to improve reliability and gain HP

after coating the pistons( top and bottom) on our race motor we saw oil temp drop about 15* and egt's rise about 200*, which makes sence due to the heat reflection of the coated piston top.

Which truck are you running?

Back