Piston coatings....yes/no...where/why???

So what is the benifit? Ive seen a lot of people coat pistons and a lot of talk about coating....but why? Just trying to learn for the future.....

Ceramic coatings on the piston top reflects heat off the piston top, saving the piston from melting and it should also help keep your oil a tiny bit cooler, in theory.
Teflon-type coatings on the piston skirts protect them from galling.

Man those are nice:drool1:! Whats a set of those run? rods, pistons and rings?

Pistons/rings/pin came to about $3k and Woodruff's billet rods 3.9k.....not the cheapest option.

As far as I know, don't know of any of these in a common rail yet, (pistons) so I guess I'll find out how they do. Post the results.

Ceramic coatings on the piston top reflects heat off the piston top, saving the piston from melting and it should also help keep your oil a tiny bit cooler, in theory.
Teflon-type coatings on the piston skirts protect them from galling.

Thanks! Guess you can learn with out asking. It does make sence though. I can see the side coatings being benificial for any truck running high RPM or lots of boost!

Don't forget how thermal barrier coatings turn wasted heat energy into HP.

Been using various thermal and friction coatings for many years. Back in the day it was a little known advantage.....

For those who want every last bit of powah- I highly recommend coatings

Pistons/rings/pin came to about $3k and Woodruff's billet rods 3.9k.....not the cheapest option.

As far as I know, don't know of any of these in a common rail yet, (pistons) so I guess I'll find out how they do. Post the results.

Got a part number for those pistons?

Got a part number for those pistons?

No part number handy, but the guys name at Mahle is Eric and he might be able to hook you up, it kinda sounded like I took the last set, but they might have another run on the go.

I accually right clicked and downloaded the pic and got the numbers off of the side of the piston .

Got a number for the Mahle Rep?

No part number handy, but the guys name at Mahle is Eric and he might be able to hook you up, it kinda sounded like I took the last set, but they might have another run on the go.

do you have any more pictures of those sexy things. pic of the bowl would be great.