PJ trailers?

Pretty much got the go ahead to get one. Now just to decide if I want that PJ or move on to something else.

I love my PJ. Built very well, and it has the best front tool box of any trailer I've had. Brakes aren't an issue with mine, and I've overloaded it a few times.

Never ever would you see a pj behind one of our trucks. I hate everything about them powder coat peels after a year the axles constantly fall out. I run trailtechs I have a 30ft that's has right around 3.2 million miles. All ive ever done is tires and brakes we did have it painted once. A buddy of mine bought a pj same month I bought a new trailtech. The pj cost him little over 16,000 to keep on the road the first year. My trailtech bought same time cost me 0 in the first year. I do this for a living and the one thing I hate fixing is trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Load trail hides in PJ's shadow :lolly:

Shut yer yapper, son.

:hehe:

Yes, PJ's are nice. Load Trails are nice. Load Max's are nice. They are all about three bolts difference from each other. My Load Max is powder coated as well.

I would suggest you walk every inch of any trailer before you buy it. No two people are alike and there has bound to be something you don't with every setup.

Last edited:
I personally would buy another P&J, yes the powder coat is peeling on mine but it also get's used in the winter and doesn't get washed after every use. I would also agree with Stealth that there are better trailers out there as well. When I priced my tandem dually with Felling they were double for the same trailer. My P&J has approximately 150-160K miles on it and the only problem I have had with it was 1 axle had bad linings from the factory that were replaced under warranty. P&J really stepped it up as far as wiring and lighting goes, as well as quality in the last few years. My newest one is a 2011 and it replaced a 2001 that still get's used every week by a farmer friend of mine that I traded it to for 3 cow's cut into pieces.

Take a look at Felling Trailers. They are built in Minnesota and I think are great trailer. They are a little pricey but come with a great warranty imo. I have a tag trailer built by them, its seven years old now and paint is in great shape and brakes are the only repair done. I have a gooseneck with air ride on order from them, that will be ready the end of this month.

My only regret with the Load Max is not having Dexter axles. Mines has the cheap knockoffs....and the inner seals all four leak.

Anyone have experience with quality trailers? We are a dealer through work and the quote I got well beats the PJ I found but no dexter axles. I'm thinking the axles are worth the exta money.

Norbert's makes one of the better trailers out there. The PJ's don't last up here, their wiring sucks, powder coat isn't worth the money either. Trailtech isn't bad either, Precision is pretty good to. Norbert's are pretty tough and actually know how to wire a trailer and also the know what a sand blaster is. They are about the most expensive trailer you can get though as well. Load trail, Load Max, Big Tex, PJ, Tarnel all don't last up here.

Kronic

Norbert's makes one of the better trailers out there. The PJ's don't last up here, their wiring sucks, powder coat isn't worth the money either. Trailtech isn't bad either, Precision is pretty good to. Norbert's are pretty tough and actually know how to wire a trailer and also the know what a sand blaster is. They are about the most expensive trailer you can get though as well. Load trail, Load Max, Big Tex, PJ, Tarnel all don't last up here.

Kronic

What exactly doesn't last? They rust? How is the wiring different from anyone else?

I'm in southern Ohio.......I don't have the winters like you do in Alberta. The trailer I have been borrowing is a 97 with no rust issues.

Kronic

How are they bad when it's a one piece sealed harness

Shut yer yapper, son.

:hehe:

Yes, PJ's are nice. Load Trails are nice. Load Max's are nice. They are all about three bolts difference from each other. My Load Max is powder coated as well.

:lolly:

That's very true. Saw where Load Trail/max used sherwin williams, figured it was paint instead of power coat. My bad.

PJ is a little bigger now than it shows on google maps and they're adding more on. It really makes Load T/M look small when you drive by. Check out P's house, with the bridge, that goes over the pond :rockwoot:
Oh, and the mexicans houses that builds the trailers LOL

https://goo.gl/maps/j8tNS

Look under the trailer. If the wires use those blue scotchlocks.......immediately walk away. My new Load Max has the molded, modular harness. It is the best I've seen out there but probably still not the best. Spring for Dexters.

Do you want oil bath or grease axles?

How are they bad when it's a one piece sealed harness

P&J just went to a solid harness in I believe in 08 or 09, before that they were scotch locked together. Like I said in a pervious post, they really stepped it up when they started powder coating their trailers.

Good to hear. When I bought my last trailer, that 24' low deck, it was a Load Trail. I rewired the entire trailer the very next week after I bought it. It was originally done by trained monkeys with scotchlocks and tape.

Well at least they gave them tape, I had a friend buy a trailer from some builder in OK and I swear all they gave him to wire it with was 50 scotch locks a pliers and 20 pieces of wire 10' long. It didn't even make the trip to MN before it needed to be rewired.

Probably CTC (Central Trailer Corp) our of Chickasha. They went belly up a number of years ago. Now some of their workers work for Ok Trailer and Truck Sales building their trailers. I voted no on buying one of them too. I bought a CTC before that last 24 footer. It had ramp issues, light issues, paint issues, etc. I took it back to the factory myself. They said they'd fix the problems. They delivered it back to me and nothing was fixed. I told them to shove it up their butts and got my money back. Then I bought the LT. Zach Hamilton has it now and I bought the LM.

Attached are "quality" pictures from CTC trailer in Chickasha, OK. Pop rivets for ground wires (NEVER!), horrible paint runs, wires through holes without grommets, ramps that won't lay flat, brakes were wired with 16 awg then the manual clearly says 12 min, etc. Just horrendous.

Attachments

• MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Nice ramps.JPG
    Nice ramps.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Nice wollar.JPG
    Nice wollar.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Banjo tight wire.JPG
    Banjo tight wire.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Axle OEM recommendation.JPG
    Axle OEM recommendation.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Nice Paint.JPG
    Nice Paint.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am pretty sure it was OK trailer he bought it from, it was actually a decent trailer other than the wiring but the paint only lasted 4 months. Who knew primer is a good thing. LOL