please help! i cannot afford!

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
ok heres the deal.
my truck started to lack power w/71,000 miles. i took to my awesome dealer (no pun, im serious) and they told me it was my pro guard 7 was extrememly dirty, which it was BAD. so i put a new PG7 filter on. still same problem. replaced fuel filter. didnt fix it. i put my factory air filter setup back on it, still problem.

i cannot even pull my 36' gooseneck.

when im running emply (no trailer) it is blowing alot of black smoke, like a superchips tuner would. NO I AM NOT RUNNING A TUNER and have NOT been since 67k miles.

problems: loss of power ALL TIME, black smoke, 10.5mpg on ih 10 going with the flow for 10hours straight and 12 if i baby it!!

PLEASE HELP! dodge dealer is scratching heads. NO CODES

second thought.... Boost tube could be cracked or a boot has a hole or is off....

Black smoke / No Power.... Air issue

just my 2 pennies

Here's what i've seen. That intake pipe that runs from your air filter box to the turbo inlet will rub on the turbos compressor housing outlet hose. Pull the hose up out of there and check for rub marks or a hole.
It is most certainly is an air issue.

Last edited:
no, the silencer ring is still
out and its quiet. kind of wierd.

if it is a bad turbo shouldnt the ECM see low boost and not add fuel? would think it would throw a code also.

chase on my 2nd gen when my turbo went i had no power an dumped the soot also had a boot that looked to be leaking causeing even more problem

Clutch1 said:
if it is a bad turbo shouldnt the ECM see low boost and not add fuel? would think it would throw a code also.

Nope, the two that I saw did not. Could hear the air leak though.

boot coming off of the turbos split quite often. they are also quite salty from DC.

Do these have a EGR valve on them? My buddies f 450 did this but only worst and it was the first time the intercooler boot then it was another intercooler boot LOL and then it was the ERG vavle. All with in 25,000 miles I might add

i visually checked all boots
eveyrthing
cannot find a problem!!
help i need to pull my 40' tomorrow!

Once I stepped up to a new turbo, I checked all the boots with a wrench and found that all but one was loose as hell. Even if it don't fix your problem, you might just throw a wrench on all your boots and tighten them up. Pull your filter tube off and spin your turbo with your fingers. Is it free? Also, does it hit the side, ie. shaft play? Maybe when it starts to spin up it binds and quits. You may have also lost an intercooler. Hope something here helps.

check for boost leaks and pull your turbo and see if anything is wrong with it

guys, you are talking to an 18year old
that can do ANYTHING on gasoline engines
but when it comes to diesels, im not
perfect at... yet haha.

pulling turbo is out of question right now..

I would check all of your tubing. Sounds like a lack of air issue.

How does the truck run at idle? When you rev the engine (in neutral) does it smoke a lot? Have someone look in the engine compartment while you run and rev? You might be able to see something.

If you took your air box off, take the tube off again and spin the compressor wheel with your fingers...with the engine off of course. See if it spins easy. When spinning it, see if you can spin it and pull it to the side and hit the housing with it. If it hits, your shaft has too much play. (that's my take on things, someone correct me if I'm wrong). YOU CAN DO IT COWBOY!!!!

i did that when i was putting my factory box back on.
turbo shaft has no play in it.
with it not in gear (6spd) and i rev it it has alot of
black smoke, looks like my neighbors with superchips;
not near the amout as smarty haha.

oh well, im leaving tomorrow morning at 6am with it
pulling worth a damn or not!

if you can fab up a piece of pipe with an air fitting on it run 30 psi through the boot of of the turbo and have some soapy water handy....this is how i check for leaks...its alot easier to hear with the engine off.

Back